Should I Ask Another Orthodontist About Invisalign for Overbites?

I have really crooked teeth and I have overbite. The orthodontist I saw said Invisalign won't help and I really don't like braces. What should I do?

Braces are more versatile

+1

There are some orthodontists who claim they can do anything with Invisalign that they can with braces. However, I believe there is always a trade-off. If you want the best result, you may need to do braces. A second opinion will be very informative and can lead to making an informed decision.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign can improve overbite, but limitations

+1

Invisalign can improve overbites,especially if bite risers are used, but there are limitations. Correction of overbite tends to me more predictable and faster with traditional braces. If you only want invisalign, then I would suggest seeing an orthodontist who has a lot of experience with invisalign and can give you a realistic expectation of how much bite opening your particular case can achieve.

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist

A second opinion for Invisalign can't hurt

+1

Invisalign or adult orthodontics many times does have limitations in what treatment can accomplish, such occasions as being excessive overbites or underbites due to one jaw being longer or shorter than the other. Straightening crooked teeth, closing gaps, and relieving excessive crowding are attainable goals, but major shifts in jaw relationship would normally require surgery.

This is many times is a reason why a dentist or orthodontist may tell a patient than Invisalign or adult orthodontics alone cannot accomplish his or her goals. However, to be sure and to feel comfortable with your decision in dental treatment, the point of view of another professional may help in assisting you with finalizing your treatment plan.

Clinton Timmerman, DDS
West Des Moines Cosmetic Dentist

Second opinions are healthy

+1

It is always best to do enough research to feel good about any decision, whether it is regarding health care or buying a car. The last thing anyone wants is buyers remorse. Even a dentist or orthodontist wants their patients happy with their decisions and want to be honest about what works.

Invisalign CAN work for many things, maybe even in your case. However, the attachments and elastics used end up looking very similar to traditional braces without the predictability.

Whenever one uses a product in a way that it is not designed, pushing the envelope in a way, the outcome is unpredictable. Your first orthodontist was being honest by saying they CAN do your case with traditional braces and very likely can't with Invisalign.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign for Overcrowding and Overbite

+1

First, does the orthodontist with whom you consulted use Invisalign on his patients? If not, I would seek an orthodontist who does both Invisalign and traditional braces for a second opinion. If your orthodontist does use Invisalign for some cases, he or she may be aware of some limitations for your specific case. Either way, it won't hurt you to seek a second opinion. Good luck!

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist