One Breast Larger Than the Other

I hate having one breast larger than the other. Is there a breast surgery that can fix a full cup size difference? Do some women get only 1 breast implant to increase breast volume on one side?

Correction of significant breast asymmetry usually requires modification of larger breast

+4

Simply placing an implant in the smaller breast will not compensate for the asymetry. This is because the larger breast has more skin and usually rests lower on the chest.

Soft tissue expansion of the smaller breast can occaisionally compensate by stretchning the skin of the samller breast to create some sagging of the breast to match the larger side.

However more commonly, the larger breast is reduced or lifted to create a symetrical position and the smaller breast is enlarged with an implant. Both breasts may be enlarged at this operation if desired.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-breast-lift-dermal-mastopexy/

Breast Asymmetry

+2

Ginger,

Thanks for the question. In short, breast asymmetry is common feature among most women. These asymmetries can be congenital or a consequence of changes that occur to the body throughout life (as a consequence of breast feeding, for example). There are various solutions to the problem of asymmetry.

Certainly, a breast reduction can be performed on the larger breast to try and achieve symmetry, while another likely scenario is to augment the smaller breast. These decision pathways are generated and are largely depent on the "starting product" or condition of your breasts.

I would recommend following up with your local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and getting a thorough assessment so that the right management plan can be designed for your particular case.

Breast asymmetry or uneveness in size

+2

There are many different dimensions to measure when considering treating uneven (asymmetric breasts). If everything else is even, the easiest solutions may be lipsuciton on the larger side. I have included video clips with liposuction used during breast enlargement. More often than not, there are other issues that need ot be treated such as uneven or unequal heights of the nipples, areolae, creases, or skin quantity. This may require more surgery and more icncisions/scars.

Web reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye6l-m47YtE

A combination approach is often best for significant asymmetry.

+1
It is definitely possible to get an implant only on one side. However, this may not be enough in and of itself to ensure that both breasts look closer to the same size and shape. Often, a combination approach is used: an implant in the smaller breast, combined with a slight reduction/lift for the larger breast. Alternatively, many women choose to get implants for both breasts, but in different sizes. This not only helps with the size concern, but also ensures that the shape and profile of each breast is more similar compared to having an implant only on one side.

Sisters not twins

+1
Breasts are sisters, not twins - no woman's breasts are exactly the same - it sounds like yours might be more like cousins than sisters. There are many ways to approach breast asymmetry depending on the differences between your breasts (is it just size?  is it shape? how about nipple position?). The options include reducing the larger side, enlarging the smaller side (with your own fat or an implant), and enlarging both sides (using a bigger implant on the side of your smaller breast). Your best option can be determined by consulting with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Treatment of Breast Asymmetry

+1
There are certainly options available to you.  These options range from augmentation of one breast with an implant or fat transfer to reduction of the contralateral breast.  Depending on the cup size you wish to be, I would discuss these options with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced in correction of breast asymmetry.

Web reference: http://www.drmoreaplasticsurgery.com/plastic_surgery_pictures.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Different sized breasts

+1
Your breast asymmetry can be improved with different sized implants.  I typically place implants on both sides so that they appearance is more uniform, but we would place a larger implant into the smaller breasts to help even you out.  This is very routine for most PS.

Breast Assymetry

+1
It is rare that I measure a female with perfectly symmetrical breast.  Breast asymmetry is very common.  The question is, is the asymmetry noticeable enough that a procedure to increase symmetry is required.  If so, there are many options to increase symmetry including:  unilateral breast reduction, breast augmentation using two different size implants, etc.  I would suggest having a board certified plastic surgeon assess you and discuss with you your options to achieving breast symmetry.   
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Breasts

+1
Correction of breast asymmetry or an uneven size between each breast can be accomplished by placement of a breast implant under the smaller breast however it is very difficult to get the breast shape to match up.  Many times one must also insert an implant on the opposite side,  although much smaller in size in order to accomplish a satisfactory correction of the asymmetry.  In addition one way have to also perform some type of breast lifting technique in order to shape the breast better and make them even. 

Dr. Kayser

+1

Breast asymmetry is a very common condition. In making a decision to achieve symmetry, it is important to decide which breast you like better. In patients who prefer a smaller breast, a reduction of the larger breast is indicated. When patients prefer their larger breast size, enhancement of the smaller one can achieve their desired results. This is typically accomplished by placing an implant in the smaller breast. However, more recent approaches include the use of taking your own body fat as living grafts and transferring them into the breast. This is called autologous fat grafting. Through this process, fat parcels are placed in the breast not unlike planting seeds in the soil. When the grafts integrate into the healthy tissue, they have the potential to last a lifetime. When this occurs, your result is as soft and natural as a normal breast with no implant ever having to be removed. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr Kayser.

Web reference: http://www.imagebydesignmd.com/gallery/breastfatgraft4_gallery.php

Detroit Plastic Surgeon