Can Rhinoplasty Make Your Nose Oily?

I had Rhinoplasty a few days ago. My nose (that is not covered by the cast) is very oily. I know that swelling and bruising is normal, but is an oily nose normal?

Oily Nose after Rhinoplasty

+4

Changes in skin texture and secretions can temporarly occur after rhinoplasty because normal blood circulation has been compromised secondary to the operation. If you choose, consult with your dermatologist , but this will resolve. 

Oily nose following rhinoplasty or "nose job"

+3

This is very common and likely due to the spontaneous denervation hypersensitivity and activity of the sebaceous glands that occurs as a normal consequence of surgery. This can last several weeks to months but tends to resolve over time.  

Nose can be oily for 1 month after rhinoplasty

+2

The skin of the nose does go through some changes after the rhinoplasty and can be very oily for the first month after the surgery. Topical astringents can help with that.

Oily skin after rhinoplasty

+2

Yes, it is common and transient. To minimize the possibility of any acne type break outs, start using a facial wash for oily skin at least twice a day.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Oily Skin and Rhinoplasty

+1

In general, if one has oily skin the swelling may be prolonged and may require longer than 12 months time to heal and see the final result. As it usually takes 6-12 months, it may take 12-15 months.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD