Obgyn to Perform Partial Tummy Tuck During C-section?

Are there any OB/Gyns in the Dallas area that will do a partial Tummy Tuck during the C-section procedure--a two for one type procedure? I had both of these procedures done together when I had my second child but my old doctor is now retired.

I'm looking for an OB/Gyn who will do this.

Ob gyn to perform partial Tummy Tuck and c-section

+2

"I'm looking for an OB/Gyn who will do this" - Keep looking and you will find one. But - why stop there, why not let your Ob-Gyn perform your heart surgery or back surgery as well - surely all surgeons are inter-changeable?

In a nod to 1700 era medicine, BY LAW, anyone with a medical degree can PRACTICE any branch of Medicine he/she wishes to DESPITE any formal training or certification they really had.

Great for plaintiff lawyers and sellers of medical equipment - really bad for the average, uneducated deal-shopping American patient.

The VAST MAJORITY of Plastic surgeons completed training in 5 years or more of General Surgery and then trained in Plastic Surgery, making Plastic Surgery training among the LONGEST in American surgical training. Yet despite our training - very few if any of us practice general surgery. What makes you think that a GYN (4 years of TOTAL training), or a Family Practice doctor (3 years of training) are as qualified to do your tummy tuck as a REAL Plastic surgeon?

I truly wish you luck in your search . You will REALLY need it.

Tummy tucks and C-sections don't mix

+2

First of all, you got a little lucky the first time. Ob-gyns are not trained in tummy tucks and I have just seen a patient who had one done that is a mess. Secondly, at the time of the birth of a child, your and your doctor's only concern should be about your health and your baby's health. Wait for 6-9 months, then go to a real palstic surgeon for a proper evaluation if you are done having children.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck at Time of C-section???

+1

I agree with my colleagues here. A tummy tuck should NOT be done at the time of a C-section. The priority of your OB/GYN should be the safety of you and your baby. It is a bad idea to perform any abdominal contouring procedure (mini-tummy tuck or tummy tuck) at time of C-section. In addition to issues associated with your safety, cosmetically you will not get the best results. Remember, it takes several weeks to months for your enlarged uterus to "shrink" In addition, you will lose weight. If you opt to proceed with a mini-tummy tuck at the time of c-section, guess what - you'll be looking at residual excess skin and stretch marks in a few months after you have lost your pregnancy weight. Finally, we have specialists in medicine for a reason. Would you have your dentist do open heart surgery? Opt for a ASPS member surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. I hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Ob Gyns should NOT perform Tummy Tucks

+1

How many tummy tucks does an ob/gyn do in his/her training? Exactly zero.

If you want a tummy tuck, why don't you seek out a specialist who has been properly trained in this procedure: a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Moreover, I NEVER perform a tummy tuck at the time of a C-section. A post-partum abdomen will frequently shrink significantly--on its own. I delay "mommy makeovers" for a minimum of 6-12 months.

Michael C. Pickart, MD
Ventura Plastic Surgeon

Surgeons specialize for a reason

+1

Surgeons specialize for a reason. Clearly, you have had a favorable experience in the past and most likely had an excellent surgeon. However, an OB-Gyne is trained to focus on the health of you and your child and to perform an efficientl and safe delivery. It is less likely that they are concerned with performing a layered repair. In fact in most instances this is the least important part of their operation but the most important part of our procedure. Our priorities are different and typically reflected in our surgical outcomes.

Tummy tucks and C-sections

+1

A tummy tuck should never do done at the time of a C-section. The C-section is designed for safe and efficient delivery of your child. The main focus of that operation is to ensure the safety of both mother and child.

Tummy tucks are elective procedures designed to remove skin and fat excess from the lower abdomen and to tighten the abdominal muscles. Women should wait until they are near their prepregnancy weight and their bodies have fully recovered from the trauma of childbirth.

It is also advisable for this procedure to be done by a board certified plastic surgeon.

John Burns, MD

Don't do it

+1

First of all, your OB GYN should be concerned only with your and your babies health - not cosmetic surgery. If anything happened as a result of the cosmetic surgery, your doctor would not have a legal leg to stand on. Save the cosmesis for later.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD