Numbing Solution in Fixing Dents and Lumps from Liposuction?

About 2 years ago, I had Liposuction done on my thighs and flanks. I ended up with a few dents and lumps. Recently, I went to a different doctor for a consultation for a revision and he wants to fix the dents and lumps under local.

He will numb me with some sort of solution first. My question is, won’t the numbing solution make that area swell and make it difficult to see what needs to be done? He will only be going off of memory to fix the areas. He won’t be able to see the area correctly because of the numbing solution. Should I be worried?

Fat Grafting Is Commonly Performed After Injection Of Local Anesthesia

+2

Repairing small defects after liposuction under local anesthesia is reasonable and usually very effective. There is some mild burning just at the beginning of the injection that lasts for a few seconds. I use a very fine needle called a 30 gauge in order to minimize any discomfort. The surgeon will usually mark the area like a topographic map prior to injection of any anesthetic. He will also inject the areas evenly so as not to obscure the concavity. Any ballooning created by the injection begins to go away in just a few seconds anyway.

In addition, the experience of the surgeon comes into play and help him decide both the location and volume of fat to inject. Commonly, moderate over-injection is performed because a portion of the fat always goes away over the first 3 - 6 months after the surgery.
There is also some chance more than one injection will be needed to completely correct the contour deformities. This is another good reason to do the procedure under local anesthesia.
In summary, it sounds like your surgeon is using an appropriate technique and you need not worry!
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

All Liposuction fixes should be done under local anesthesia only

+1

Local anesthesia will only distort the areas to be fixed for a short time. Once the anesthesia kicks in which takes about 30 minutes, the swelling is already down and the doc can go ahead and fix the areas. It is a big advantage to be awake for the procedure so the doc can turn you and stand you up and see the areas in different positions to fine-tune it the best.

Everything shifts and goes flat and leaves a distorted view when you are stuck just lying down under general anesthesia. The next most important thing to do in getting your bumps and dents fixed with the micro canulas which are the small instruments needed to give the best results. The smaller the instrument, then the smoother the results as a general rule. Good Luck!

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Anesthesia for correcting contour deformities of liposuction

+1

Correceting dents or irregularities from liposuction can be done in multiple different ways depending upon the problem.  Local anesthetic added to the area to numb it may distort the area and may not.  It really depends upon what is required during the procedure.

Repairing areas after liposuction

+1

The answer depends on how he is planning on numbing the areas. If he marks the areas out beforehand and injects the numbing medicine around those areas as a "field block" you should be okay. Otherwise, you may want to consider twilight anesthesia so that you will be asleep for the procedure and the areas to be fixed won't require any numbing. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.DrSchreiberPlasticSurgery.com

Anesthesia for fat grafting.

+1

That is true to some degree but unless you want to do it under no anesthesia or have it performed under general anesthesia there are not other solutions. In many instances your physicans experience is one of the most important factors in judging the appropriate amount of fat to transfer