Does the Nose Tip Go Down Years After Surgery?

I'm getting my nose done. Everyone says I should have it a little more curved than I want because the tips goes down. My doctor said the swelling makes it higher and the patient gets used to it being higher so they think the tip lowers, but others say it does go down even years after the surgery. Which is true? Should I get it more curved?

Nose tip will drop during first 6 months after rhinoplasty

+1

Full healing on a rhinoplasty takes approximately one year after the initial surgery. Extremely subtle changes can occur even after the first year. Initially, the tip will drop after the rhinoplasty procedure, but that really depends on many different factors including the type of operation performed where the cartilaginous struts and grafts are placed in the tip. Most of the tip drop occurs in the first six months after the procedure. It is important to have your rhinoplasty performed by someone who has performed thousands of nasal surgeries and is very well versed in all of the techniques regarding rhinoplasty.

Nasal Tip Drop

+1

Antoinette,

As I previously said in response to your question, the nasal tip will fall slightly many years after surgery secondary to the aging process. In the first  post-operative year, the illusion of tip drop is due to the resolution of the normal surgical swelling.

Tip Rotation

+1

Hi Antoinette,

Tip curvature is also known as rotation. Tip rotation is governed by many factors after surgery. Rotation may be exaggerated from swelling initially but settles down in a week or two after surgery.

I don't believe it is a good idea to over-rotate your nose, you may end up with a pug nose. Its probably better to have an under-rotated nose than an over-rotated nose.

Dr. S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty tip

+1

The tip should stay relatively the same after the rhinoplasty has settled down. I would not want the surgeon to over correct it with the thought that is will come down some more. You may wait a lifetime for that!

Changes in the tip after rhinoplasty

+1

Over time, it is possible that your tip may drop a little especially depending on the technique that was used. Some are more structurally stable than others. The problem is that you don't know for sure if that will happen so you don't want to overrotate the tip because this looks very operated on and won't correct itself over time.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Two different issues regarding tip drop.

+1

All tips drop in the first 12 months after surgery. All noses drop after 30-50 years of aging. Do not have the doctor elevate the tip for aging decades later! A good rhinoplasty surgeon won't do this anyway.

Noses both change and age with time

+1

Most of the healing after rhinoplasty occurs during the first year. There are subtle changes that occur over the next few years. However, the nose also ages. Like all parts of the body, as we age, the nose will droop. Ligaments stretch and skin sags.

In rhinoplasty we perform surgical maneuvers in anticipation of what the nose should look like approximately one year from surgery. So, I suggest you find a rhinoplasty expert and let them plan surgery as they see fit for your nose.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Over correct nasal tip elevation when undergoing nose job (rhinoplasty)

+1

With the passage of enough time, yes, your nasal tip will droop from loss of support. However, in my opinion, this is not a reason to have it overcorrected in the short term.

Nose tip drooping years after surgery

+1

Part of aging is for almost EVERYTHING to stretch, compress and go down. In some older people there is noticeable nasal tip droopiness.

However, there is nothing worse and more obvious than an over-elevated, nostril revealing over-done nose tip.

Do NOT do it. You will look silly for much longer than you would have (maybe) a droopy tip when you are old.