Is Radiesse Injection into Nose 3-4 Times Within 3 Months Safe?

I had non-surgical nose job Radiesse injected into my nose about 3 months ago. 2 weeks after the 1st injection (about 2.5 months ago), I had Radiesse injected into my nose again. I am considering having a 0.3-0.5ml Radiesse injection into my nose for the 3rd time, and may go for a touch-up 2 weeks after 3rd injection. Is it safe to have 3-4 Radiesse injections into the same area (nose) within a 3-month period? Or is it safer to wait until 1 year later to do the 3rd and 4th injection? Thanks so much! 

Frequent injection of Radiesse into the nose

+4

An off-label use of Radiesse is the "non-surgical" nose job. The physician injects the filler into the subcutaneous compartment under the epidermis to raise a concave profile and make it more straight. The area that is often treated is the bridge of the nose near the glabella, or the area between the eyebrows. In this latter region, there have been incidents of necrosis of the skin (a lack of blood flow causes the overlying skin to die and a scab forms after which there is a permanent scar or textural or color change. Radiesse is usually reinjected after six to nine months or more. Frequent reinjections could increase your risk of developing the complication of lack of blood flow and scab formation. This is a very risky plan and I would advise against it.

Odd Presentation

+3

I agree with other posters: Why are you having such frequent injections? I would surmise it is probably because you aren't so happy with the results or perhaps because it is being used for an unusual indication.

Non-surgical rhinoplasty with Radiesse is an off-label use of Radiesse. It can play a role in addressing minor post rhinoplasty asymmetries or potentially in dorsal augmentation. The way Radiesse works is by adding volume and then by stimulating collagen in-growth into the treated area. I have performed rhinoplasty on patients who have had Radiesse injected into the nose and have always experienced an inordinate amount of scar tissue.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repeated Radiesse injections into the nose

+3

First of all, please understand that non-surgical rhinoplasty is not an accepted practice among many of the nations leading experts on the nose. It has been heavily promoted by non-surgeons who pray on a patient's fear of surgery. There are many reports of serious complications from injection rhinoplasties so don't look at it as a totally safe and accepted form of practice.

It also sounds quite peculiar what you are doing. Either your doctor is exceedingly conservative or you might be excedingly perfectionistic. Either way, multiple injections are nto the normal course.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsugery.com

Non-surgical Rhinoplasty with Injectable Filler

+2

Non-surgical rhinoplasty is performed with injectable fillers, and is not approved by the FDA. Dermal fillers used in this method in the nose is considered off-label. Dermal fillers are temporary, and treatments are repeated. Rhinoplasty without surgery is a potential option for certain patients, if performed by a nasal specialist.

One must be very careful when placing any dermal filler material into the nose. The nose may react against such material, even when it's reported safe in other facial areas. The skin of the nose may loose blood supply or become infected with filler injections.

Speak with a rhinoplasty surgeon to perform a comprehensive evaluation and determine the best option for you. Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal filling

+1

Ann,

There is no greater danger with injecting your nose now versus waiting a year.  The question remains as to why you are requiring so many treatments in such a short period of time.  Usually, a single injection will correct a deformity and last for many months. 

You may require several Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty treatments to obtain a desired result.

+1

A Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job) involves using Injectable Fillers in your nose to improve your facial appearance. You can have Silikon-1000 for permanent results (my personal preference), but Radiesse, Juvederm, and Restylane can also be used. The choice of filler depends on the preference, and experience of your physician. I have been personally using Silikon-1000 in the nose for over 10 years and have had wonderful success, and many happy patients. Several treatments are typically necessary, and are spaced at monthly intervals.

Your Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty can be performed to camuoflage a small nose-bump. For example, you may have a bump on your profile view. Filling above and below the bump will improve your profile so it’s straight and attractive.

Your crooked nose can also be corrected with a Non-Surgical Nose Job. If you have a depressed, concavity on your front view, it may cause your nose to appear twisted. Filling the concave area can lead to a straighter, more attractive appearance that won't call attention to itself.

If your nose has visible imperfections after a previous Nose Job, you can have this corrected permanently with a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty. Repairing Rhinoplasty irregularities without additional surgery and downtime is one of the most rewarding procedures for my patients and me. I correct most Rhinoplasty imperfections with a non-surgical approach.

You can have imperfections in your bridge, tip, and nostrils restored to a completely natural, unoperated appearance. Visible, asymmetric tip cartilage can be camouflaged with Silikon-1000. A pinched tip can be corrected, and high nostrils can be lowered. A wide bridge can be narrowed if it's not too high. All while avoiding additional surgery which is inconvenient, costly, and often unnecessary.

Your Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty is performed painlessly with topical anesthetic. You have no downtime, and normal activities are resumed immediately after this 20-minute procedure. If you’re an appropriate candidate for Silikon-1000, results are completely natural and permanent.

You may need Rhinoplasty Surgery if your airway and septum require correction. You may also require Rhinoplasty Surgery to make your large nose smaller since adding volume will only make things larger.

I've attached a link to my Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty photos for your perusal.

I hope this article is helpful for you.

Web reference: http://ericmjoseph.com/index.cfm/ProcedureNameID/731/PageID/4141

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse injection into nose 3-4 times within 3 months

+1

Injection of Radiesse to augment / mask minor nose dorsum deformities has NOT been approved by the FDA and is regarded as an off label use. (Meaning, if Radiesse can be injected into deep skin folds by anyone holding a Medical License then the doctor in exercising his / her judgment can inject it elsewhere in the body...)

Radiesse contains sea coral powder. No one has long term studies on how repeated application of this material to the bridge of the nose will react. We DO KNOW it causes a scar reaction and that in some patients ulceration and exposure of Radiesse was seen.

That aside, I am not sure nor do I understand WHY a filler which is marketed as lasting over a year needs to be re-applied so often? It leads me to believe that whoever is injecting you is attempting to simulate the appearance of a dorsal rib or cartilage graft by repeated layered Radiesse applications. Personally, without knowing the down sides, I would NOT do it and I suspect it would end up with a compromise of the blood supply of the nose skin and an ulceration.

Radiesse for non-surgical rhinoplasty

+1

Although it has been mentioned that Radiesse injections for non-surgical rhinoplasty is an off-label indication for the use of the product, to my knowledge, none of the products we are currently using for nasal injections have FDA approval for this indication.

That said, the use of dermal fillers in the nose is a very effective although temporary fix to issues you currently have with your nose. Multiple injection sessions to the nose is not likely going to do any harm to your nose, I would spend more time with your injector at the next session so that you have mutually decided on the goal you are trying to achieve and avoid further injections for many months.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why so many Radiesse injections in such a short time?

+1

While it's certainly safe enough to have multiple injections, I'm curious as to why someone would need them so frequently. Radiesse lasts about 12-18 months in most areas of the face and up to a couple years in the nose. Is your doctor just really being conservative by adding so little at a time or are you not seeing adequate results?

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon