Non-surgical Options to Rejuvenate Eyes?

I want to rejuvenate my eye area but am hesitant about surgery. What are my best options to freshen up my look?

Minimal improvement from fillers, much improvement from surgery

+5

I speak to many patients who are also hesitant about surgery. When it comes to making a change to enhance your features, please carefully weight the pros and cons of your options, both surgical and non-surgical. Seek the advice of a board certified facial plastic surgeon who has the experience to recommend both surgical and non-surgical approaches.

Thank you for posting your photo, this allows me and other physicians who participate here to give better advice. Here is the advice I would give to you based on my review of your photo:

Option 1: Fillers in Cheek Area

Fillers can be injected into the cheek area to help disguise the appearance of lower eyelid bags. The pros of fillers are that they are relatively low risk and are typically temporary - what I mean by this is that over time the product will be absorbed into your body, so if you were not happy with the result, you would not be stuck with a lasting undesirable outcome. In terms of cons, fillers can be expensive when used long-term, and the repeat treatments can become cumberson for some people.

In your case, I would say the biggest con is that you are unlikely to achieve a substantial improvement from fillers. Your lower eyelid bags sit higher up on your cheek and are being gently protruded by the weight of your eye above. Fillers injected into the cheek area will not suspend or eliminate the eye bags.

Having said that, fillers are temporary and relatively low cost. Since you are hesitant about surgery, it might be reasonable to try fillers first and see if you like the result.

Cost: You would require 1 syringe of a temporary product, such as Restylane, at a cost of roughly $500

Risk: If injected by an experienced cosmetic surgeon, low

Patient Satisfaction: In your case, I would expect fairly low

Option 2: Upper and/or Lower blepharoplasty

These surgical procedures are commonly performed under local anesthetic on an outpatient basis and are used to eliminate excess skin and puffiness of the eye area. The pros of these surgeries are: long lasting results, noticeable improvement, high patient satisfaction, minimal discomfort and an event free recovery period. The cons: all surgeries have risks - some specific to this surgery although rare, are bleeding and eyelid asymetry.

In your case, I would say that you would achieve the best results from a combination of upper and lower lid blepharoplasty - if you are comfortable with the risks of the surgery. If cost is an issue, I recommend the lower lids be the priority.

Cost: Roughly $2500 - $4500 for lower lids, and roughly $2500 - $4500 for upper lids, depending on the surgeon

Risk: If performed by a board certified facial plastic surgeon, low

Patient Satisfaction: In your case, high

There are several excellent facial plastic surgeons in your area, I recommend you start the process by having a consult with one of them.

Take care!

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical options

+2

Ffrosty,

You could certainly consider laser treatment to tighten the skin, but I think you need to have realistic expectations. There will be modest improvement, but it will not approach surgery.

David A. Lickstein, MD