New Silicone for Lip Augmentation?

I have heard all the scary stories about silicone, but I have been told by a doctor that there is a new silicone and that it is very safe and effective. The results take some time to show, as the lips "grow" around the silicone droplets. Is this true?

Treatment of silicone injections on the lips

+1
Silicone injections should not be used for injection into the lips. The variable safety profile of silicone underscores the need to exercise caution with the injection of silicone and its inherent treatment after injection.

In my office, I have personally seen dozens of patients with poor results and facial deformities caused directly by the injection of silicone into the facial anatomic units, including the lips, eyelids, nose, cheeks, and jawline. These patients require extensive non-invasive and surgical procedures to minimize the inflammatory component associated with silicone injections.  I have treated many of these complications with success. 

As a national referral center for silicone injections, I would caution patients from undergoing silicone injections to the face.

Silicone injections

+1

While newer silcone products are available, the plastic surgery society is still not recommending injections of this product for general use.  The product is permanent and almost impossible to remove, and may lead to granuloma formation.

Silikon-1000 may be used safely, only by experienced physicians, for Permanent Lip Augmentation.

+1

Silikon-1000 is a permanent filler, so your results, good or bad, are permanent. You must find a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced with the micro-droplet technique. You should also have a discussion with your doctor about the FDA's position with respect to using Silikon-1000 in an off-label fashion to enhance your lips. Lastly, you should see many before and after photos demonstrating beautiful, natural results before you pick your doctor and proceed.

I've attached a link to my Lip Enhancement photos for your perusal.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon