Do You Think Neck Liposuction is Worth It?

Neck Liposuction...Worth it?

+1

Yes, liposuction contouring of the neck is a great option in the right patient...that is a patient with good skin quality and submental fat that is not deep or under the muscle in the neck.

It is one of the most beneficial procedures we as Board Certified Plastic Surgeons perform...and I typically see results faster than other areas that I use liposuction (arms, tummy area, thighs).

See your surgeon to see if you are a candidate.

Dr. C

Liposuction In The Neck

+1

Liposuction can be of benefit in the neck. Liposuction removes the excess fat and can help resculpt the neck contours but it does not address the skin in your neck. If you have little excess skin with good elasticity in the neck, the liposuction may give you a very good result.

However, if you have excess skin in you neck and the skin has poor elasticity liposuction may make this worse. In this case a face lift or neck lift would be the better procedure.

Have a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Your surgeon can assess the quality of the tissues and recommend the best procedure for you.

James H. Schmidt, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Usually, neck liposuction is worth it

+1

The neck is one of the most favorable areas to do liposuction on. However, the degree of skin tightening can be variable. A facelift will usually give the best result, but in many patients, liposuction only is a reasonable approach.

Dean Fardo, MD

Neck Liposuction Works Well

+1

Neck liposuction is a great procedure in the right patient. The biggest problem after any liposuction is that the liposuction technique does nothing to address the skin. In some patients, neck liposuction can leave the patient with a signficiant amount of excess skin of the neck. This results in a need for additional procedures to address the neck skin. Determining the amount of elasticity left in the skin is critical to determining if additional procedures may be needed in addition to liposuction.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can't tell without a photo.

+1

See an experienced face lift surgeon to tell you the answer. Liposuction works best for a "double chin" in a young person. If you have saggy skin you will not be happy with liposuction.

Neck Liposuction may be worth it for you

+1

Dear "Concerned" in Seattle,

Hmmmm...since my All Seeing, All Knowing, USB powered, Internet connected crystal ball is in the repair shop and you did not bother describing your neck much less put up a front or side view of your neck, I would have to say - a definite MAYBE.

Neck liposuction BY ITSELF works best in people with good skin tone without excess skin whose neck fat is localized to the area above the neck muscle (platysma) and who do not have medical conditions which would make surgery risky (on blood thinning agents, serious heart disease etc).

Neck Liposuction

+1

As long as you are a good candidate and have realistic expectations, then the procedure will benefit you. During an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon you will have your neck contour and skin tone evaluated. If you have good skin tone so it can shrink after liposuction and have an appropriate localized fatty collection, then you will have a good outcome. It all depends on your exam and discussion of your expectations with your surgeon. Good luck.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Neck Liposuction

+1

Depending on your skin tone and the amount of excess skin as well as the amount of fat I have had excellent results in properly selected cases for laser assisted liposculpture of the neck (go to my photos section).  You do get some skin tightening with the laser but there are limits. 

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Is lipo of the neck a good idea? It depends.

+1

It is impossible to say whether or not neck lipo is worhtwhile for a specific individual without a hands-on evaluation. A major variable is skin tone. For a younger person with localized fat accumulation, it can be a very good choice. Older patients might need a facelift because the skin would be too loose after lipo alone. Then there are patients in between, typically in their 40's, who do very well with a combination of lipo with Thermage. It's not a substitute for facelift, but where there is a little bit of skin laxity the results are better. Some examples here: http://www.drbaxter.com/thermage.html.

Richard Baxter, MD

Neck liposuction

+1

In order to be a good candidate for neck liposuction and thus have a good result that you like, you must have skin with enough elasticity to shrink well (ie young enough). Laser lipo technologies (ie Smartlipo) cannot overcome skin that has lost its elastic tone. In these people, the skin needs to be excised in a neck lift or facelift to get the result you want.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS