Neck Lift Vs Liposuction for Improving Neck?

Hello, I have not seen any pictures with the neck I have. So I don't know if Neck lift is for me. I went to a specialist only for him to say if I have Liposuction, the scar could form into a keloid. And if I choose to go along with the surgery, the doctor said I would have sagging skin. I need help.

Neck Lift Not Liposuction Is Better OPtion For You

+4

Thank you for your email. You really do not have a lot of neck fat visible in your photo.

If the loose skin is what is bothering you, a Neck Lift will tighten the neck and improve the jaw line. Liposuction will not tighten the neck and could leave skin irregularities.

If you have had ear piercing and previous incisions or cuts and have not formed a Keloid then it is unlikely that you will.

Both options will give improvement

+3

The neck lift is a quick way to reduce jowls, eliminate a double chin, slim the bands of muscle that form the wattle, and tighten neck skin. Often, liposuction alone can help resculpt this area and tighten loose skin. Today with Smart Lipo ,light can provide finer resculpturing of the neck and jowls. If greater tightening of the skin is required, it can often be done with tiny incisions behind the ear. These procedures can be performed as an outpatient without the need for general anesthesia allowing for a quick recovery. It's possible to do this on a Friday and be back to work on Monday!

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Liposuction or neck lift or laser lipolysis

+3

Although this is a limited photograph, it appears as though you are going to need liposuction of the neck. As far as the redundant skin is concerned, there does not appear to be a significant excess of skin at this time. What you may want to ask your surgeon about are the newer laser lipolysis procedures. Many of the machines utilize wavelengths that are efficient in melting fat while simultaneously tightening the skin. The incisions are extremely small and unlikely to form keloids. The downtime is minimal as well. Is the result as effective as a full open neck lift? Probably not, but I think that you would be extremely pleased with the results and the relative ease of the procedure.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck surgery

+2

You may be a good candidate for both fat contouring and skin redraping but without an exam I could not be sure.

See a plastic or facial plastic surgeon who is a facelift specialist.

+2

If the skin is excessive and you have only a liposuction, then the skin will sag. If one is 20 years old this is not a problem. You probably need both. You should not have a keloid though it is possible, I have not seen one on the front of the face unless the skin was closed too tightly.

Neck Lift vs liposuction

+1
Regarding your question about possible keloids - if you have developed keloids in the past you are more likely to do so. If not and especially if you have pierced ears without problems it is less likely.
Re: you neck: An exam is always needed to determine how the specific causes of your undesired neck appearance. In particular there are 4 main factors that need to be evaluated:
1. the amount of redundant skin, excess fat below the chin, (requires neck or facelift)
2. banding of your neck mid-line neck muscles (platysmal bands) - requires platysmal plication (neck tightening)
3. elasticity of your skin. - requires laser or peels, thermage, ultherapy
4. a weak chin (supports the skin structure) - requires chin augmentation
Each of these components are dealt with in a different manner. For example, excess fat requires direct removal or liposuction (more common), widely spread playtsmal bands are brought together (neck tightening), and excess skin is removed with a lower facelift or neck lift (this can be done with minimal scars). Certain lasers and peels can help with elasticity problems and your photo seems to indicate adequate chin projection.

Some more information:

Non invasive : some noticeable but modest improvement with laser, peels, thermage, radiofrequency and ultherapy

Traditional liposuction removes excess fat superficial to the platysmal muscle. A neck lift is able to remove fat both above and below the platysmal muscle and tighten it; this will give a more defined jaw/neck line. .The lax skin in your upper neck can be approached directly by a less invasive facelift in the mini-face lift such as the MAC or Lite Lift procedures. The least invasive would be one of these procedures which corrects the upper neck loose skin extremely well.. My own personal preference and in my hands the one with the least invasive approach is a Lite Lift which is performed in my office under local anesthesia with some oral sedation without the need for IV sedation or general anesthesia.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Neck lift vs liposuction

+1

The modality to be used to im-prove neck contour  is based on the physical exam. Non-invasive therapies are only useful for minor corrections.Lipo alone is useful in patients who has isolated superficial neck fat and good skin tone.  Skin only incision are not useful because skin is elastic and will only relax over time. Any excess skin will have to be removed but that is only half the solution. More often than not, the underlying structure (muscle, deep and superficial fat) need to be tightened, some removed and repositioned. This type of lift tightens the neck muscle (platysma) if they are loose or splayed. During this procedure a 3cm incision is made just behind the chin crease and the muscle in the neck is accessed and tightened with sutures in way a corset would be tightened. Chin implant and liposuction can be done through this same incision. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a treatment plan specific to your needs.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Neck Liposuction VS. Neck Lift

+1

Regarding: "Neck Lift Vs Liposuction for Improving Neck?
Hello, I have not seen any pictures with the neck I have. So I don't know if Neck lift is for me. I went to a specialist only for him to say if I have Liposuction, the scar could form into a keloid. And if I choose to go along with the surgery, the doctor said I would have sagging skin. I need help
."

If the clean lines of the neck are marred by excess fat only, then a liposuction is all you would need to make it look better. If excess, hanging skin is the reason for the neck looking old then a lower Facelift / Neck lift (with certain modifications depending on YOUR anatomy) may be what is called for. Finally, in a neck where older sagging skin is made worse by fat deposits BOTH a liposuction and neck lift are what is called for.

From the limited view you present, it appears you have young skin which is NOT excessive and have a small amount of excess fat. In my opinion you are an ideal candidate for a neck lift and once the fat is removed the skin will shrink somewhat for a much younger appearance.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Neck lift and liposuction can improve the neckline

+1

To improve the neckline, both operations can be performed. Liposuction will simply remove fat. While a neck lift is typically performed on patients less than 50 years of age who have a fat problem and need redefinition of their jawline. Neck lifts do not tighten excess skin. A neck lift involves placing a one-inch incision in the submental area of the neck and two one-half inch incisions behind the neck. Fat is removed both above and below the platysmal muscle as well as tightening of this muscle in the front. Keloid formation in this area of chin is very rare, even in dark-skinned individuals.