Is Nasal Hump Reduction a Simple Procedure?

Hi! I am a 20-year-old female. I have come to the conclusion that the only thing I don't like about my nose is the nasal hump. I wouldn't say the hump is huge, but it is noticable.

I would like to have the hump reduced, but do not want a sloping nose (it wouldn't match my other features); I want a very natural looking nose.

I want to know how difficult this will be. Will my nose need to be broken? Since I only want my hump reduced and absolutley nothing else, so will the healing time be faster or will bruising be less apparent?

Nasal Hump Reduction - Simple or Complex

+1

Obviously, any type of nasal cosmetic rhinoplasty is not a “simple” operative procedure. Even reducing a nasal hump takes significant operative skills since it is a surgical procedure of millimeters. The goal is to reshape the dorsum to make it harmonious with the face and have a smooth dorsum as it transcends into the tip without any irregularities. There is no such thing as a simple nasal reduction or a simple rhinoplasty.

Small hump

+1

It's definitely possible for you to have a natural look.  I would recommend you see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for consultation and discuss with him/her what you would like your nose to look like.  Sometimes bringing photos of noses you like helps and many surgeons have computer programs that do recreations of what your nose may look like.  Regardless, good communication with your surgeon is critical.  He/she will be able to help you set realistic expectations on what your nose can look like based on your personal anatomy.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Nasal Hump Reduction - How Easy Is It?

+1

Reducing the bridge of your nose will probably be simple. The question is how much does the bridge need to be reduced. For very minimal amounts of reduction it may be possible to simply reduce the bridge and this would leave minimal swelling and virtually no bruising. Larger reductions leave the nose looking too wide from the frontal view and this is when it is necessary to narrow the appearance of the nose by mobilizing the nasal bones with a controlled fracture where the nasal bones meet the facial bones. This will lead to more swelling and bruising but if it is indicated  you will have a natural and pleasing result. This comes down to how prominent your bones are, how much you want them reduced and if your surgeon feels it can be done without the fracture. Either way you should have a natural looking result. Best of Luck

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Nasal hump reduction usually requires breaking nasal bones

+1

At the time of a rhinoplasty when a hump reduction is performed, the most likely result will be a flattop open roof nasal deformity. The nasal sidewalls will have to be reset inwards to close the open roof to give a natural-looking nose. Otherwise, the nose will not look right.

Most hump reductions involve more than simple hump removal

+1

Once the surgeon reduces the nasal hump by either rasping or chiselling, additional work is necessary to provide nasal harmony. Osteotomies as well as nasal tip work may be necessary. Most surgeons do not take down the hump enough to give a sloping dorsum, but this can be a difficult to correct complication of an overresected hump. Seek the skill and experience of a qualified Facial Plastic Surgeon.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

This would be simple relatively on the scale of Rhinoplasty in general

+1

Rhinoplasty is a very difficult procedure especially when you need your nasal tip changed. It is a procedure that takes years to master. I've been doing Rhinplasties for 8 years now and have come to respect this procedure. It is a procedure that you need to continually improve on. Things change and techniques get better and you always need to learn the latest in the new ideas out there.

Nasal hump reduction is on the easier scale when you talk about rhinoplasty as opposed to tip work or reconstructive rhinoplasty. This is based on doing hundreds of rhinoplasties from the simplest to the most complicated including rib graft repair and complex nasal reconstruction type of procedures. Nasal hump reduction will entail limited intranasal incisions, reduction of the hump with rasps, sometimes direct reduction with scissors, etc, and many times will entail controlled breakages of your nasal bones to readjust the bones to the smaller state.

Really importantly, you want a surgeon to discuss all of these things with you and know what you want. This is perhaps the most important step in rhinoplasty. Knowing what your patients/clients want is more than half the battle. This establishes the goals of this procedure which is essential. So find somone who is going to listen to you!!

Through Rhinoplasty your appearance can change markedly for the better if done right!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Hump Reduction is Complicated

+1

Although it might seem to be simple the reduction of a nasal hump is complicated. Once the hump has been removed with a chisel, the dorsum looks wide. It is then made narrowed by breaking the nasal bones along the side walls where the nose meets the cheeks. The nasal bones are then pushed together to get a narrow bridge.

In summary, reducing a dorsal hump can lead to a full rhinoplasty of the upper 2/3 of the nose.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

A small nasal-hump can be camouflaged with a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty.

+1

If your nasal hump is small, and if that's your only concern, an Injectable Filler Treatment may be worth investigating. Injectable Fillers placed above and below a small hump will make your profile appear straight. If your nose is on the small side, this works well. If your nose is a bit large, Fillers will make it larger necessitating Rhinoplasty surgery.

I've attached a link demonstrating this technique.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Hump at Bridge of Nose

+1

Yes, and no.

Rhinoplasty is not one operation, but many potential operations. Every patient is unique.Removing the hump from a nose is the most common request for cosmetic nasal surgery. Humps are usually made up of both cartilage and bone, and come in various sizes and shapes. Reducing small humps is a relatively easier procedure, as compared to more extensive rhinoplasty surgery. Large bumps will require bone reshaping/breaking after the hump is removed.

A goal in nasal surgery is to recreate balance of the nose with the rest of the face. A small hump may be filed or rasped without needing more surgery. A subtle change in the nose may create a profound improvement in facial balance.

Only after a comprehensive nasal evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon determine the most appropriate option for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, Subtle Rhinoplasty with Hump Removal Only

+1

Hi Eloisa,

Some patients can have just their hump removed, while other patients would require treatment of their tip and nasal bones as well. It is difficult to tell you which group your nose would fall into without examining your nose carefully.

It is possible to have a subtle rhinoplasty where your hump is removed and the remainder of your nose appears the same. You must be sure that you communicate very clearly your wishes to the rhinoplasty surgeon during your consultation. Make sure that your surgeon understands what you would be satisfied with, and that the surgeon is confident that the result can be achieved.

See the web reference below for further info on the subtle rhinoplasty.

Do choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD