Cause and Treatment of Fleshy Moles?

Over the past few years, I have started getting many very fleshy moles (skin tags), mostly in my scalp, but now on other parts of the body. I have had a biopsy done and it came back negative. I would like to get them removed but there are now several and more keep popping up. What is causing this and what should I do?

Friction

+2

Skin tags medically referred to as soft fibromas, or fibro-epithelial polyps are caused by friction. This is the reason that they usually occur in such areas as the neck (collars and necklaces rubbing),armpits and groin (clothing). Since you are telling us that yours occur on the scalp, these probably are not skin tags at all( unless you work in vaudeville doing some kind of hat bit or catch for a baseball team). So if you are asking what is causing your moles to develop, I would have to say most likely genetics.

Sometimes, moles have been present your whole life, but as you get older they begin to protrude. There is really nothing to do to prevent them from coming up. This is in contrast to skin tags. With skin tags, using an emollient will decrease the friction. Weight loss helps too as they are more prominent in those who are overweight. Either have them taken off, or live with them. Make sure you have your skin checked once a year, preferably with a dermatologist but alternatively with your family physician, to make sure that they are benign.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Causes and treatment for skin tags

+1

Most importantly, I would visit a dermatologist for a full skin exam to make sure you don't have any skin cancers. You refer to skin tags on the scalp, except we don't get skin tags on our scalp, which makes me worry a bit about the diagnosis of your lesions. Skin tags are common on the neck, armpits, and groin, and even eyelids, and they occur as a function of getting older, genetics, and weight gain. They can be easily and safely removed, and by keeping your weight stable, you are less prone to more or larger skin tags. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin tags

+1

More than not, skin tags are generally caused by some sort of friction and or possibly genetics.  They most commonly can be treated with shave excision. 

Sam Naficy, MD