Is a Mini Tummy Tuck Necessary with Lower Ab Liposuction?

The doctor says I will still have a pooch without Mini Tummy Tuck. I'm confused by this since I see a lot of before/after pics on-line of just Liposuction & the stomach looks flat to me.

It's $1000 more to have the mini tuck. I'm 5'2 107lbs. Do you think the mini tuck is necessary? There would be no reason to have just lipo if I'm still going to have a pooch.

Mini Tummy Tuck necessary with lower ab Liposuction?

+2

Respectfully, I think you are asking the wrong question.

The FIRST question SHOULD be :
"What bothers me about my tummy is ...
A. The loose skin pooch when I lean over, (which got worse after the baby(ies).
B. the giggly fat on my hips and tummy (even though I never had a baby).
C. I am bothered by BOTH A and B.

Rather than picking a procedure and hope things will just magically turn out OK, identify what really bothers you and THEN pick the proper tools to fix it.

IF you have had a baby (or more), your tummy has been stretched and NO EXERCISE nor liposuction will bring the separated muscles back to the midline. You will need a "Full" tummy tuck.

If you only have localized fat deposits, especially if you have NOT had a child, then a well performed liposuction procedure would remove the fat (BUT it will not markedly shrink loose skin).

If your surgeon is a REAL Plastic surgeon (check him/her on the website of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons - www.PlasticSurgery.com - You may be shocked to find out that he is not) - I would ask him/her how much of a muscle separation do you have and might you be better served with a Full tummy tuck and no liposuction?

The other alternative is to have the liposuction and let it heal completely BEFORE considering ANY abdominoplasty. You may actually like the result and will not go ahead and have such a procedure.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS

Mini tummy tuck and lipo

+1

It is difficult to comment on the correct operation for you without an exam or photos.  Liposuction will only thin out the subcutaneous fat layer.

Question about liposuction and or mini tummy tuck with skin removal and muscle repair

+1

Simple answer to a simple question: if your bulge is primarily fat, lipo is and excellent solution. If you have loose muscles and/or skin you need a tummy tuck.

Mini tummy tuck vs. Liposuction alone

+1

Unfortunately, determining which procedure you would benefit from just based on the information you provided is very difficult. Photos would definitely be helpful to discuss the best and safest possible options for your specific case. Depending on the severity and complexity of the case, only very few patients actually benefit from a mini tummy tuck. This will be decided based on the results you are wanting to achieve. A mini tummy tuck involves improvement of the lower abdomen below the belly button. The rectus muscles are tightened and repaired, and the loose skin is removed. Liposuction alone could result in loose excess skin depending on the quality of the skin and its potential to bounce back. Definitely consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options with you. Good luck to you.

Mini tummy tuck with abdominal liposuction

+1

Hi Gidget,

It's hard to know if you need a mini tummy tuck or not. Liposuction gives adequate results alone in patients who have some extra abdominal fat with no compromise of abdominal skin quality and no laxity (looseness) of the abdominal wall muscles. This tends to be women who don't have any stretch marks, haven't had children, or haven't had major fluctuations in weight.

If you have a pooch now, it's really important to ascertain the cause of the pooch. If it's because of loose muscles or poor skin quality, you may actually be a candidate for a full tummy tuck.

It's important to make sure you're seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon who can offer you the full spectrum of procedures from non-invasive, in-office procedures to surgical procedures in an operating suite. That way, you can feel confident that the advice you're being given is truly appropriate.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Mini tummy tuck vs liposuction

+1

First, make sure the doctor is a real plastic surgeon as there are many non-plastic surgeons proposing what you describe because that is all they know how to do. The mini tummy tuck is to remove extra skin and tighten the muscles below the belly button. If the muscles are fine and there is no extra skin, the tuck is not needed.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS