Mini Tummy Tuck Straight After C-section?

I've had slack skin since giving birth ten years ago, I'm due to give birth again in January. I haven't gained any extra weight, but I'm thinking of asking my doctor for a mini tummy tuck straight after having a C section. My slack skin has depressed me for years. What do you think? I live in Scotland, and was told another local lady had this done after giving birth.

Abdominoplasty Following C Section: Need to Wait

+1
Performing a C-section and abdominoplasty together is probably not advisable for a variety of reasons.  The post pregnancy period is characterized by rapid anatomic changes which make the analysis of the abdomen very difficult.  Tummy tuck surgery should therefore not be under taken until post pregnancy changes have stabilized.  Proceeding prior to six months after delivery might result in an increased incidence of revisional surgery.
In addition, early abdominoplasty is associated with higher complication rates for multiple reasons.  Immediately following pregnancy patients may have enlarged blood vessels within the abdominal wall which might increase the potential for bleeding.  In some cases their metabolic status may be unstable and they may be anemic due to blood loss at the time of delivery.  In other cases bacterial contamination might occur during delivery and result in an increased number of infectious complications.
Finally, the emotional trauma of delivering a baby and simultaneously undergoing abdominoplasty may be significant.  Caring for a newborn in the early post-operative period would be difficult to say the least.
Based on these considerations we feel that C-sections and abdominoplasty should be staged.  If you are considering abdominoplasty, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be an appropriate next step.  Your surgeon will most likely advise not having an abdominoplasty until you are fully recovered from your C-section.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck immediately following C-section

+1
My recommendation would definitely be to wait at least 6 months following your C-section before having your tummy tuck.  Changes which normally occur following childbirth such as muscle tightening and skin retraction may impact the work which actually needs to be done.  While having everything done at once may sound appealing, ultimately a great result is what you desire.  Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has performed hundreds of tummy tucks and schedule a consultation.  Ask to see as many before and after photos as possible of other patients who are similar to you in size and weight.  Ask questions and make an informed decision.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Your body needs time to heal before a tummy tuck.

+1
After your abdominal muscles get stretched out from pregnancy, it is definitely understandable that you want to immediately tighten them again. However, it’s important to understand that these muscles will retract quite a bit naturally on their own in the coming weeks. Also, the skin excision with a mini tummy tuck is not extensive and may need to be redone if performed at the same time as a C-section. The skin will relax over the next several months which could result in a lax appearance. It’s a good idea to wait at least six months until after having your last baby before you schedule body contouring. That way, your surgeon will have a more accurate picture of exactly how he or she can deliver the best results. A mini tummy tuck may simply not be enough to address all the issues related to a recent pregnancy.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mini-tummy tuck after c-section.

+1
I know it sounds convenient to have this all done and behind you.  However, you should definitely wait for at least 6 months after giving birth before having any procedure on your abdomen.  The skin an muscles need to contract so that a proper plan can be made.  Be patient...it will be worth it!

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Do not combine cesarean section with a tummy tuck

+1

I agree with many of my colleagues here that it is not a good idea to combine any kind of tummy tuck with a cesarean section. Your body and your abdomen need time to heal after pregnancy and a cesarean section. You should allow your body to heal and your skin and muscles to shrink for at least 6 months after your cesarean section before considering surgery. Then, I would meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your situation in more detail.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck should not be combined with C-section

+1

Unfortunately, in this instance, one-stop surgery isn't appropriate.  It is important to regain your pre-pregnancy weight and shape as well as to recuperate from the pregnancy prior to making decisions for surgery.  After C-section, a full abdominoplasty is generally required to tighten the musculature and a mini-tuck would not be the operation of choice.  You should focus on the important issue here-healthy mother and baby-and deal with cosmetic surgery at a later time, both from psychological and certainly physiological considerations. 

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Generally, not the best idea to have abdominal contouring surgery immediately after C-section.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

Mini Tummy Tuck or "Baby needs a new pair of shoes"

+1

As you can see by the responses it is NOT advisable to combine any type of tummy tuck at the time of the C Section. Just because someone in the community may have rolled the dice and gotten away with it doesn't mean the odds for uneventful healing are good.  Play it safe and recover from the pregnancy/delivery then concentrate on the rebuilding process.

Robert A. Herbstman, MD, FACS
Red Bank Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after c-section

+1

No way!  You have to wait until you lose the weight and the skin retracts back and the body gets back in shape before having any work done on your abdomen.

Risks of tummy tuck immediately following pregnancy, delivery and/or c-section

+1

I know of a surgeon who does this procedure but have concerns about this particularly related to the mothers metabolic state, nutritional status, anemia, attenuated tissues, potential blood loss, hypervascular abdominal wall, and possible contamination. I discuss these with all my patients and have not yet identified a patient or obstetrician who feel comfortable enough to proceed or incur the risk.