Mini Tummy Tuck Straight After C-section?

I've had slack skin since giving birth ten years ago, I'm due to give birth again in January. I haven't gained any extra weight, but I'm thinking of asking my doctor for a mini tummy tuck straight after having a C section. My slack skin has depressed me for years. What do you think? I live in Scotland, and was told another local lady had this done after giving birth.

Best to wait months after having your last child.

Thank you for your question. This question comes up frequently in my practice.

I do not recommend any sort of tummy tuck procedures whether it is a full tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck at the time of childbirth or even immediately thereafter. It is best to wait several months to allow the intra-abdominal uterus to return to its normal size. Additionally, the skin will retract significantly on its own. My recommendation and the recommendation of a majority of my colleagues is to wait for months or even up to a year after having your last child before undergoing a tummy tuck operation.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

6020 S. Rainbow Blvd, Bldg C
Las Vegas, NV 89118

Wait a few months

My best recommendation for you would be to wait a few months after recovering from your C-Section. You want to be alert and attentive to your newborn child and having a tummy tuck after surgery may limit you to a few mommy duties that will need attention. I would recommend you focus on your new baby while allowing your body to heal from the c-section and then consult with a surgeon. Congratulations on your new addition!

Dr. Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

425 Haaland Drive
Thousand Oaks, CA 91361

Mini Tummy Tuck Immediately After C-section?

Although this technically could be performed, it's best to wait to have a tummy tuck. Your body will undergo changes after the delivery and it's best to wait until your body has finished changing. Once you have reached a stable weight, a mini or full tummy talk, could be performed. In person consultation with a plastic surgeon will help determine the best procedure for you.

Austin Hayes, MD

18650 Northwest Cornell Road
Beaverton, OR 97124

Tummy tuck after C section

Knowing that the body will go through significant changes after a C-section means that whatever changes you obtain  by having a simultaneous surgery may be lost in the ensuing months. Wait several months until you are stable and then have your tummy tuck. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

4625 Quigg Dr
Santa Rosa, CA 95409

Abdominoplasty Following C Section: Need to Wait

Performing a C-section and abdominoplasty together is probably not advisable for a variety of reasons.  The post pregnancy period is characterized by rapid anatomic changes which make the analysis of the abdomen very difficult.  Tummy tuck surgery should therefore not be under taken until post pregnancy changes have stabilized.  Proceeding prior to six months after delivery might result in an increased incidence of revisional surgery.
In addition, early abdominoplasty is associated with higher complication rates for multiple reasons.  Immediately following pregnancy patients may have enlarged blood vessels within the abdominal wall which might increase the potential for bleeding.  In some cases their metabolic status may be unstable and they may be anemic due to blood loss at the time of delivery.  In other cases bacterial contamination might occur during delivery and result in an increased number of infectious complications.
Finally, the emotional trauma of delivering a baby and simultaneously undergoing abdominoplasty may be significant.  Caring for a newborn in the early post-operative period would be difficult to say the least.
Based on these considerations we feel that C-sections and abdominoplasty should be staged.  If you are considering abdominoplasty, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be an appropriate next step.  Your surgeon will most likely advise not having an abdominoplasty until you are fully recovered from your C-section.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Tummy tuck immediately following C-section

My recommendation would definitely be to wait at least 6 months following your C-section before having your tummy tuck.  Changes which normally occur following childbirth such as muscle tightening and skin retraction may impact the work which actually needs to be done.  While having everything done at once may sound appealing, ultimately a great result is what you desire.  Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has performed hundreds of tummy tucks and schedule a consultation.  Ask to see as many before and after photos as possible of other patients who are similar to you in size and weight.  Ask questions and make an informed decision.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

7700 Lead Mine Road
Raleigh, NC 27615

Your body needs time to heal before a tummy tuck.

After your abdominal muscles get stretched out from pregnancy, it is definitely understandable that you want to immediately tighten them again. However, it’s important to understand that these muscles will retract quite a bit naturally on their own in the coming weeks. Also, the skin excision with a mini tummy tuck is not extensive and may need to be redone if performed at the same time as a C-section. The skin will relax over the next several months which could result in a lax appearance. It’s a good idea to wait at least six months until after having your last baby before you schedule body contouring. That way, your surgeon will have a more accurate picture of exactly how he or she can deliver the best results. A mini tummy tuck may simply not be enough to address all the issues related to a recent pregnancy.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

425 S. Cherry St.
Denver, CO 80246

Mini-tummy tuck after c-section.

I know it sounds convenient to have this all done and behind you.  However, you should definitely wait for at least 6 months after giving birth before having any procedure on your abdomen.  The skin an muscles need to contract so that a proper plan can be made.  Be will be worth it!

Dustin L. Reid, MD

901 W. 38th Street
Austin, TX 78705

Do not combine cesarean section with a tummy tuck

I agree with many of my colleagues here that it is not a good idea to combine any kind of tummy tuck with a cesarean section. Your body and your abdomen need time to heal after pregnancy and a cesarean section. You should allow your body to heal and your skin and muscles to shrink for at least 6 months after your cesarean section before considering surgery. Then, I would meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your situation in more detail.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

1903 East Fir Avenue
Fresno, CA 93720

Tummy tuck should not be combined with C-section

Unfortunately, in this instance, one-stop surgery isn't appropriate.  It is important to regain your pre-pregnancy weight and shape as well as to recuperate from the pregnancy prior to making decisions for surgery.  After C-section, a full abdominoplasty is generally required to tighten the musculature and a mini-tuck would not be the operation of choice.  You should focus on the important issue here-healthy mother and baby-and deal with cosmetic surgery at a later time, both from psychological and certainly physiological considerations. 

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375