Mini or Full Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy?

Hi I am 5'2" and 110 lbs. I have loose skin and my abs are separated from 2 pregnancies. I was wondering if I would need a full or a mini tummy tuck?

This is the most common question I receive when discussing abdominal rejuvenation.

In order to explain the difference we first must understand the anatomy of the abdominal wall and what happens as we age and the changes that occur with weight gain.

First the skin. The skin quality can range from normal to very lax and redundant. It can retain much of it's elasticity or it can be stretched and have lost the ability to retract. We see this loss of elasticity after considerable weight gain then loss or often after pregancy. The telltale signs of lax skin are stretch marks (stria). Simply put, these stria are tears in the deeper layer of the skin called the dermis. If there are a lot of stretch marks and the skin is loose, then there are few options other than to remove the excess skin. If this loose skin is mostly below the belly button then a mini tummy tuck is appropriate. For those with loose and lax skin that extends above the belly button, a full tummy tuck would be a better option. I can not determine from the lateral photograph you sent which would be more appropriate. 

Next we have to consider the deeper layer, the fat. If there is little fat and this is mostly located in the lower abodmen, then a mini tummy tuck is appropriate. If there is more diffusely located fat and there is a lot of fat above the belly button then in order to achieve a good result one would need either direct excision (full tummy tuck) or liposuction. If just using liposuction with loose or lax skin then there will be drooping of the skin. A full tummy tuck is preferred. Again, without a full set of photographs and/or an in person consultation it is impossible to advise. However, you do not seem to have much adipose tissue to worry about. 

Finally, we must consider the underlying muscles. With with pregnancies there can be weakening of the abdominal wall muscles as you described in your case. This is called "rectus diastasis"  which means seperation of the paired long muscles in the middle of the abdomen (your six pack abs). This problem can not be corrected with exercise. Usually correction of these changes require a full tummy tuck, but if the upper abdomen only requires muscle repair, termed plication, then it can be done with a mini tummy tuck. It requires more time, effort and expertise and sometimes some special equipment. Your surgeon can help you decide after a physical examination if this is possible. 

BRK

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon