Mini or Full Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy?

Hi I am 5'2" and 110 lbs. I have loose skin and my abs are separated from 2 pregnancies. I was wondering if I would need a full or a mini tummy tuck?

Mini or full tummy tuck after pregnancy?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question and photos! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure. Looking at your photos, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly. Also, abdominal wall tightening may optimize your result. Stretch marks to the level of your umbilicus will also be excised.  Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.

Once you are ready for the procedure, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck with abdominal wall tightening. This would remove the excess skin/soft tissue and stretch marks while contouring your belly.  The mini tummy tuck has limited usefulness and limited candidates as it truly only addresses excess skin in a small area above your pubis.  It will not address your abdominal wall and the tightening of such, frequently needed after pregnancies to achieve a shapely abdominal wall.  While the recovery time is shorter, the benefits afforded to you by a full tummy tuck are much greater and will optimize your result.  You should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in body contouring procedures at anytime to go over options to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you.  Best wishes!

How Much Skin Is Left?

+1
Hi mommy818, and thanks for your question. Although you provided a helpful photo, it's still difficult to make this recommendation without an in-person examination. It's important for a surgeon to evaluate the quality of your skin as well as the amount of it; both of these factors could affect the treatment recommendation. Additionally, where your skin and fat tends to accumulate — whether it be above your navel or below it — is also a deciding factor. You look like you're in great physical condition, so it's distinctly possible that a mini tummy tuck will be sufficient for you. Of course, the only way to know for sure is by scheduling a consultation with a qualified surgeon near you. Good luck!

Howard Silverman, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Full or mini tummy tuck

+1
When it comes to a full tummy tuck, it’s all about abdominal wall deformities. Abdominal wall deformities consist of three components:

1) The presence of wrinkly or loose skin with stretch marks. Most patients suffer from these issues as they age, following pregnancy or after rapid weight loss.

2) Excess fatty tissue. This accumulated tissue is usually most prominent in the lower abdomen and the “love handles”.

3) Rectus muscle diastasis. This condition results from the separation of the anterior abdominal muscles. Patients affected by rectus muscle diastasis cannot improve the condition with exercise because once the abdominal muscles have relaxed and separated, the stomach will continue to noticeably bulge.

A full tummy tuck works to address all three components, treating conditions related to the skin, fat and stomach muscles. The procedure repairs weakened abdominal muscles while also removing excessive skin/fat through tightening, surgical removal and, often, liposuction. Patients frequently lose a number of inches from their waist size as well.

Generally speaking, a full tummy tuck is preferred for women who have had children, however this is not to say that a mini wouldn't work for you. Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to confirm which treatment would be most suitable for you.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

You Appear to be a Good Candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

The decision between a full or mini tummy tuck comes down to two issues – your anatomy and your expectations. If all of your issues are below the belly button and the belly button looks good and is not significantly hooded, and your muscles are not too separated, then you may be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck. If you have extra skin above the belly button or if the muscles need tightening, then usually a full tummy tuck is needed.

Looking at your photos and reading your concerns, I think you should be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck. The thing that cannot be fully evaluated from the pictures is the status of your muscles and that requires actually feeling the degree of separation during a physical exam. But if that is ok, then a mini tummy tuck should be appropriate to get rid of your extra skin, and it would be combined with some liposuction to the upper abdomen if that would help to improve the overall contour!

Marie E. Montag, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

+1
By what is seen in your pictures you might be a candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck however it is not clear without a frontal picture and with out touching the skin and the condition it is in, so a physical consultation with your plastic surgeon would be the best option for a good and correct evaluation.

Luis Suarez, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

+1
The best procedure is based on your physical exam.  It depends on the amount of loose skin above the navel and below.  

Susan D. Vasko, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

It depends on the degree of correction needed.

+1
It is difficult to say without an exam whether a full or mini tummy tuck would be better for you. Judging just from your picture, it does seem that your upper abdomen looks more taut and firm than the lower. That by itself is a good sign that you may be happy with the mini tummy tuck, which only addresses the area below the navel. I recommend scheduling consultations with a few different board certified plastic surgeons (ideally, tummy tuck specialists) to compare opinions after they examine you in person.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

+1
A miniabdominoplasty will generally work to tighten the laxity of the lower (below the belly button) abdomen.  Although the 1 side picture suggests it might be an option for you, a final decision can only be made after a formal consultation and I recommend that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Depends on the patient.

+1

Weather or not you're a candidate for full or mini tummy tuck depends only on the individual patient and would be a good idea to meet with you or have some photos to be able to determine if you qualify for either one, or none of them, For a prosedure like tummy tuck it is dificult to say without reviewing your case further, drop me a note and we'll see what we can do.

Jonathan Fisher, MD

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy- A Complex Question

+1

A true answer, if a patient is a candidate for a mini or a full tummy tuck, can only be given after a comprehensive in person consultation. Only after determining the extent of skin and muscle laxity can a good surgical plan be formulated. I strongly suggest visiting a board certified, experienced plastic surgeon to seek that answer!

Z. Paul Lorenc, MD