Using Medical Marijuana During Rhinoplasty Recovery?

Hello, I have a prescription for medical marijuana. Is it safe for me to use it after my rhinoplasty surgery?

If not, for how long should I stay sober? Will it slow down the healing process for any reason? Help is much appreciated!

Rhinoplasty and Medical Marijuana During Recovery

Hi Cheech,

Medical marijuana is legal in California, we usually tell our patients to wait at least two weeks before "lighting up".  You should discuss this with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  In the meantime, hide the Oreos.

Good luck and be well.

Chong 

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medical marijuana use can resume 1 week after rhinoplasty

It is acceptable to use medical marijuana one week after the rhinoplasty surgery. The smoke from the marijuana cigarette will be quite irritating to the nasal passageways, but after a week will not cause any harm.

2-6 weeks, in general.

Wound healing is a complicated process. White blood cells and platelets travel to the site for immune system and blood clotting. collagen fibers create a mesh with in the skin, and new blood vessels grow in to deliver more blood containing oxygen to the area. Collagen fibers remodel the surface of the wounded area. Proper protein levels and appropriate vitamin levels help with healing.

Poorly healing wounds can occur where there is inadequate blood circulation, or inadequate delivery of oxygen to the treated area.

Without nicotine, smoking marijuana is apparently less detrimental on the wound healing process than cigarettes, but may severely affect the compliance of the individual and affect the proper self-care. Anything that affects the uptake of oxygen will have an effect on wound healing, however. If it is medical marijuana prescribed to treat another issue, you must weight the benefits and drawbacks for yourself. 

In general, much of the healing will occur in the first 2 - 6 weeks, which can vary depending on the complexity of the individuals procedure.

Marijuana after rhinoplasty

As a physician I can't recommend using mj at all as it is still illegal in most states. I will tell you that all types of smoking can lead to healing problems and advise my patients to refrain from smoking as long as possible. If you go 4 weeks why not quit all together at that point, you passed the hardest part.