Male Breast Reduction with Areola Reduction?

I want know if Male breast reduction procedure can be done simultaneously with areola reduction?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Areolar reduction is rarley neseccery

+1

This is an important point I would like to make:Areola reduction should rarely be done.I have performed thousands Male Breast Reduction Surgeries over 30 years and I can't remember when I have performed areolar reduction,yet the vast majority of my patients were happy with their results and the post surgery areola size,even when it was large prior to surgery. I did fine that when an adequate excision of the gland and adipose tissue plus an adequate thinning and defatting of the areolas is enough 98% of the time.I am reluctant to perform areolar reduction because a scar on a man is less acceptable then on a woman because it defeats the purpose of the surgery and can not be covered with a bra. Just the possibility that a few of the scars we be unacceptable usually prevent me from doing it in many cases. It does not mean that areola reduction is wrong,it is an acceptable and a standard procedure in plastic surgery. Those  thoughts and philosophy are only mine. 

Areolar reduction

+2

I do not perform areolar reduction at the same time as gynecomastia surgery. The complication rate for simultaneous areolar reduction and gynecomastia surgery is logrythmically increased. Areolar size is reduced by the gynecomastia surgery.

Male Breast Reduction with Areola Reduction - one or two procedures?

+1

Yes it is possible to do both procedures at the same time. However, most often I find that the it is best to do it separately. For on reason, sometimes when I anticipate two surgeries - the second one is not needed. When the skin retracts for example after liposuction of the breasts so does the areola (which is a skin appendage) which may satisfy your wishes.

For males with very large breasts staged procedures (more than one procedure) may be required. For example, the first procedure may be liposuction, then several weeks to months later after skin contraction has occurred, a separate procedure is done to remove excess skin. By doing a staged procedure, often the final scars are less.

Larry Nichter, MD, FACS

Web reference: http://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/for-men/gynecomastia/

Gynecomastia Surgery and Areola Reduction

+1

Both of these procedures can technically be done same time.  However I have found that correction of gynecomastia and areola reduction surgery done at the same time does carry increased risks  compared to either one of the procedures done separately.  This increased risk is related to decreased blood flow to the nipple/areola.

Sometimes the areola shrinks enough with the  gynecomastia surgery that the areola reduction surgery becomes unnecessary.

Please make sure you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_gynecomastia.htm

The areola will shrink as a by-product of male breast reduction

+1

You may very well not need a formal reduction of the areola.  Removal of the breast tissue is often accompanied by a decrease in the diameter of the areola.

Areola reduction with Gynecomastia

+1

Gynecomastia can most definitely be performed at the same time with areola reduction. Performing both procedures simultaneously will not add to the recovery time of either procedure.

Gynecomastia surgery with areola reduction

+1

The best technique for the correction of your gynecomastia ultimately depends on the quality and location of the excess tissue on your chest. If the extra tissue is central on your chest or just underneath the nipple, this may be corrected with a simple incision around your areola. You can combine this surgery with an areola reduction at the same time. Keep in mind that an areola reduction will create a scar completely around the areola and a scar will be more noticeable than the smaller scars we typically use just for the reduction of gynecomastia

Male breast reduction will reduce areolas.

+1

Hi.

1)  If your areolas are just a little wide, simply getting rid of the gynecomastia will make them shrink.  This is enough for most patients.

2)  If they are really wide, then they are reduced as part of the male breast reduction, with a circular scar at the edge of the nipples.

Areolae reduction in Gynecomastia repair

+1

It is very common for the areolae to unintentionally shrink when performing male breast reduction. This can be observed in the attached youttube video. 

However, a surgeon must exercise caution in reducing the areola circumferentially because this may compromise the blood supply to the nipple and areolae.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/malereduction.html

Male breast reduction with areola reduction

+1

Hi, male breast  reduction can definitely be done with a simultaneous reduction of the areola.  If you are young and your skin is of good quality, though, you may not need it if your skin retracts after suction of the excess breast tissue.  Good luck, /nsn.