Will Evaluation for Lower Facelift Be Accurate if I Have Fillers?

I just had Radiesse for my nasolabial folds and Juvederm to fill out the upper and a little for the lower lip. Nice improvement. However, the little jowls are still there and since fillers or lasers won't help, I'm afraid that some sort of lower lift is in the near future. My question is, can a surgeon evaluate my face properly with all these fillers? Will I need to let the fillers be absorbed before surgery?

Evaluating for a facelift after facial fillers

+4

An experienced facelift surgeon can assess your situation well by feeling where the filler is and knowing when, where, and how much was placed.

We typically like to allow two months to pass from the time of injection, but that is just personal preference. We also typically augment many areas during our surgeries and therefore like an accurate assessment of each nook and cranny.

I would agree with Dr. Rand that you should seek a top plastic surgeon, not a mini lift clinic, if you want your best result. It is your face, after all.

Necklifts alone tend to be weak in the jowl area, as do mini-lifts, and especially branded mini-lifts. Among the patients we see who are most dissatisfied, they have had mini-lifts, branded mini-lifts or inexpensive surgeries.

Ok for facelift evaluation after fillers.

+2

IF your primary concern is to treat the jowl area with a facelift, I do not believe that  the fillers you have recieved, will interfere with the examination.

Facelift assessment post fillers

+1

Hello! If you had your nasolabial folds and lips treated, lower facelift could be performed at any time, as long as you are an optimal surgical candidate. Lower facelift might not address these areas anyway, depending on what your surgeon does. On the other hand, fat grafting of these areas could definitely be performed at the time of your surgery which would provide longer lasting results with filling. I would recommend you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and you can find one close to you on plasticsurgery.org. Best of luck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Facelift/Lower Facelift and Facial Fillers

+1

Thank you for your questions. A facelift is largely a lower facial procedure. 90% of the result comes from adequately treating the neck and improving the jawline. A limitation of a Facelift/ Lower Facelift are the treatment of the perioral area (nasolabial folds and marionette lines). Extended dissection into these areas often causes abnormalities in the appearance of the mouth. Therefore, fillers are frequently used to help in these ares before, during, or after surgery. An experienced surgeon should be able to perform an informative consult for you without any compromise to his assessment or to making a surgical plan. I hope this helps. Take care. 

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower Facelift Evaluation after fillers

+1

Lower Facelift and Fillers Are Complementary and an experienced board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon should not have a problem in evaluating you for a facelift procedure.

As you age by three factors - sagging (through gravity and time), loss of volume (counteracted by fillers), and skin texture (determined by environmental and genetic factors). Your fillers should enhance your effect of the lifting if placed appropriately by addressing one of the causes of aging. After a month or two from your last Radiesse and Jeuvederm injections would be OK for most patients

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

More difficult to evaluate if you have fillers

+1

It will be difficult for a plastic surgeon to evaluate your face and your facelift needs while you have currently have fillers. In order to have the best consultation, you should let the Radiesse wear off so that the plastic surgeon can properly examine you.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Fillers and facelifts

+1

I agree that an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon should be able to at least estimate the influence of your filler material volume on your needs for skin tightening. I think it is prudent to wait 6 months or so from the time you had the fillers; while the Radiesse (which feels firmer) may remain, he Juvederm may be reabsorbing at that point, making it a little easier to judge the volume deficiency.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse injections and facelift evaluation.....

+1

I think if you’ve had Radiesse injected into your nasolabial fold areas as well as Juvederm injections an experienced plastic surgeon should still be able to evaluate your face properly unless there is an over abundance of Radiesse in the nasolabial folds. In general, I would recommend waiting at least six months following filler injections for doing a facelift procedure.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Facelift evaluation after fillers

+1

An experienced surgeon who utilizes fillers in his or her practice should have minimal difficulty determining the best treatment plan for you, even with fillers currenly in your face. If the fillers are not meeting your expectations regarding your jowl area, your best bet is to consult with your surgeon about a facelift, which can give you much more dramatic and longer lasting results than fillers. Regarding how long you'll need to wait for surgery after receiving fillers, it's typically between one and two months.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Dermal fillers and lower facelift

+1

Patients today have many options for facial rejuvenation of the lower face. Dermal fillers are extremely popular in patients that want to correct the nasolabial folds and marionette lines (otherwise known as the smile lines).

A lower face lift will change the shape of the jaw or redrape the skin on your neck.

Either way, your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has great deal of experience in lower facelift techniques, dermal fillers, and facial rejuvenation. They can assess your tissue- its ok that you have fillers in place at this time. They will be able to review your concerns and recommend a course of treatment that will meet your personal goals.

Pat Pazmino, MD