How Much Skin Can Be Tightened During Lower Body Lift?

I am 50 years old, 5'4" and 120 lbs. While pregnant, I gained 40 lbs. twice. I have saggy unsightly skin, cottage cheese and piles forming in my thighs and buttocks, making me very self-conscious.

How many inches can a surgeon pull up on the butt to get tightening results of lower body lift on top of thighs? Will the scar be wider the more that is taken out? I had abdominal skin excision with pencil thin scar, can I expect the same scar results? Thanks!

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Lockwood technique improves body lift results

+1

The more skin one takes out, the higher the risk of complications.

Having said that, there are different techniques that diminish the risk and yield a better scar. The Lockwood technique preserves blood supply better, minimizes empty space below the skin closure, and minimzes tension at the skin closure layer.

Because of these factors, for any given level of skin resected, you have less chance of seromas, wound breakdown, and a better scar. Check out the weblink below and the video for a fuller explanation.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurg.net/blog/2009/03/18/body-lift-techniques/

Lower Body Lift

+4

Most of my patients will have 3 to 4 inches of the buttock skin removed in between the upper butt and lower back.  The most important thing is the placement of the scar.  The incision has to be perfectly placed in between the lower back and the upper butt.  It is this incision that demarcateds the butt form the back.  If placed too high, the butt will look too long.  If placed too low, the butt will look too short.

+1

There is no set number of inches that apply to everyone and no sure way to tell you based on you picture.  Overall it looks like you would be an excellent candidate for the lower body lift.  Final scars are dependent on the surgical technique and your body's healing overall.

How much skin can be removed?

+1

How much a lower body lift can lift and tighten depends a lot on "translation of pull".  See the web reference for my blog on this topic.  You look like you have fabulous "translation of pull' but that is determined by an in person exam.

Scar placement is important to maximize the aesthetic result and minimize scar visibility.  Also, closing the deep layer (Scarpa's fascia) with strong, closely placed sutures is important to the longevity of the lift and (by taking tension off the skin closure)  a nice scar.

Web reference: http://www.sowdermd.com/blog/body-lifting-101/

How much tightening with a lower body lift

+1

I think you are an excellent candidate for a lower body lift.   I would want to see your previous tummy tuck scar to see if this would also need to be redone.   If not, you would simply need a posterior body lift, which involves removal of loose skin of your buttock and outer thighs.

Another important factor is preservation of volume in your buttocks.    Removal of skin will improve your contour and cottage cheese/loose skin, but it is necessary to preserve your fatty tissue to help reshape your buttocks with an auto-augmentation technique.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Loose skin

+1

A lot of skin can be tightened, although I would remove very little, saving most of the fat to auto-augment your buttock. This would improve the cheesey look a lot

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lower Body Lift

+1

A lower body lift is also referred to as  circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  The buttock lift can also include buttock augmentation.  The lateral thigh lift will help contour the lateral aspect of your thighs.  The procedure can taken between 5-7 hours depending on the amount of tissue/skin that needs removal/treatment.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.
Dr. Sugene Kim

How much skin is removed during lower body lift?

+1

You definitely have some laxity issues along your buttocks. Lower body lift coupled with a volume augmentation procedure whether with dermal flaps versus fat injection of your buttocks would help improve the shape.  Your next step should involve a consultation  with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is comfortable in utilizing either flap or volume augmentation techniques with a lower body lift

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Life changing Body lift

+1

Great job!! I would wait for 6 months of weight stability before you have surgical procedures. Unfortunately there is no effective non-surgical method.  However, a body lift can truly change your life. Excess abdominal fat  and skin is removed, the abdomen and your core is tightened, your hips are raised and defined and your buttock has new definition and shape.  The combination is powerful and the results are immediate. I would do the body lift first, then stage procedures every 4-6 months. Healing time is 2-4 weeks. The most important thing is safety. Please don't compromise on this! See a board certified plastic surgeon

Buttock laxity versus volume

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  I suspect that some of the loose skin and soft of the buttocks is related to excess skin and a part of it is related to not enough fat (volume).  You may want to entertain the idea of a combination procedure that involves both tightening as well as volume augmentation.  This can be achieved through a purse-string gluteoplasty or through a buttock lift and fat grafting of the buttocks.  I believe the combination of the two procedures will provide the best result.  A pure tightening procedure may end of tightening the loose skin but can result in a relatively flat buttock shape.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://drrepta.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.