Is Local Anesthesia Necessary for Juvederm Injections?

How much is Juvederm and how long does it last? Does the needle feel like you're getting a regular injection? Is there any local anesthesia?

Juvederm XC has cut down on the need for dental blocks

+2

I was regularly doing a nerve block (dental block) for Juvederm, which really increases the comfort level for the patients.  Since Juvederm released it's XC formulations, which contain lidocaine to instantly numb as it's injected, I find I'm doing the dental blocks less often.  That said, every patient is different, and it also depends on where they are being injected and how much.

I always use it!

+2

The lips and perioral area have a tremendous sensory input for distinct functional reasons. I feel that Juvederm injection without local anesthesia is too much for most people. For this reason, I invariably use a nerve block (dental block), and oral commissure injections to insure patient comfort. A comfortable patient makes for an easier work environment for the surgeon.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Cost and Results

+1
The cost of a syringe of Juvederm varies depending on where you are located and your injector. Some practices charge by area while others charge by syringe. In Toronto, Ontario, the cost is usually by the syringe, and it is $600-850 depending on the product administered. Voluma tends to be more expensive.

Depending on the type of product, results can last up to 18 months (Volift). Generally speaking, however, how long your results last also depends on the area treated. There is lidocaine in the product therefore you won't need an additional anesthetic administered, although numbing cream may be applied if necessary. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Juvederm and Discomfort

+1

With Juvederm XC that already has lidocaine in it, little discomfort is ever voiced from our patients. Prior to treatment, we use numbing cream. Blocks are a possibility for patients with a low threshold of pain.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Juvederm and anesthesia

+1

I often place topical anesthetic on a patient's face and this usually does the trick.  Juvederm also has lidocaine in it which eases the injection process.

Local anesthesia for Juvederm helps in certain areas

+1

No, it is not BUT in really helps in certain areas.

Every one of us is different and we all have different abilities to tolerate pain. Personally, having been brought out in the Marine boot camp style of residency training, I do not feel that the Bite-and-grin or the no-pain-no-gain philosophy absolutely belongs in Cosmetic surgery IF there are better ways to alleviate pain.

Anesthetic creams work in most people - not in all. Ice, by itself, works only for a few shots (such as Botox) and does not work well in all facial areas. But - infraorbital / mental nerve blocks preceded by a topical anesthetic on the inside of the mouth BEFORE the shot, work beautifully on EVERYONE. So, why take a chance ?

It prolongs the procedure by 5-10 minutes in time to allow the block to take place but it is WELL worth it. It allows me to inject the whole inner site of the face and lips without any pain or discomfort.

Good Luck.

Juvederm is roughly $550 a syringe and lasts 6-12 months

+1

Juvederm does great in the llps and the nasolabial grooves. I usually do a nerve block so you don't have to suffer. It runs roughly $550 / syringe and lasts about 4-6 months in the lips and 6-12 months in the nasolabial areas. Usually, you need two syringes for the nasolabial areas.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Is Painful In Lips

+1

If Juvederm is injected into the lips without any local anesthesia, it can be some of the worst pain you will ever experience. Other areas like cheeks and nasolabial grooves are not that bad.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm rarely needs local anesthesia, ice and topical is sufficient

+1

For most patients, Juvederm is performed with topical anesthesia cream and/or ice packs. The needles used are much smaller than those used for most other injections. The only time I routinely do a "block" with anesthetic injections is when I am enhancing lips. In the cheeks and naso-labial folds I feel Juvederm lasts between 6 to 9 months.

More recently, we have also been mixing hyaluronic acid fillers with local anesthetic to reduce discomfort on injection as well.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Lidocaine with Juvederm

+1

Everyone is different when it comes to pain. I have some patients who prefer to get their injections without any anesthetic. I also have patients who want to be totally pain free so we use various methods of local anesthesia. Most commonly we do you some form of local anesthesia. The key is to be comfortable. Go to an experienced injector with a good reputation and you should be in good hands.

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon