Liposuction for Protruding Chin?

I have quite a large chin and it protrudes a lot when I smile, which makes me feel conscious. I'm wondering what procedures can be done or would it be possible just to have liposuction on it and would it give me a good result?

To change the chin prominence you have to change the bone.

+2

'Chin prominence' occurs for several reasons, but the main way to change true prominence is to change the bone. Depending on how much change you want or need, there are several ways to alter the bone to reduce the chin.

Liposuction is unlikely to be of benefit

+2

It is unlikely that liposuction would be useful in diminishing chin projection. An examination of your dentition and occlusal relationships is essential to determining if the underlying problem is due to your mandible. This could be treated with a variety of procedures depending on the condition.

Prominent chin

+1

I am afraid that the prominent chin will not be helped by liposuction. That will likely require the chin bone to be reduced in some fashion. The amount of fat over the chin pad is actually quite small and attempting to reduce can at times end up with a droopy chin, kind of like a witch's chin.

Julio Garcia, MD

Liposuction for protruding chin depends on the cause

+1

The answer to your question depends on the cause of the protruding chin. If the protrusion is caused by fat, then laser liposuction can be very effective. However, if the protrusion is caused by bone, then nothing short of extensive surgery will work. Recovery time with laser lipo consists of swelling for a couple of days, but normally, patients are back to work the next day.

David Goldberg, MD

Unlikely

+1

Casey,

Liposuction is not the answer to a protruding chin. You most likely need bone reduction surgery. A few things that need to be checked before performing any chin reduction surgery are your teeth alignment (occlusion) and the relationship of your upper jaw to your lower jaw. A plastic surgeon or an orthognathic surgeon can make these determinations and measurements and make recommendations for correction. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

See a facial plastic surgeon

+1

Usually the cause for a large chin is a forward positioned jaw bone or thicker muscle / skin layers. It is not a reflection of more fat normally so liposuction is not a realistic option for most people. You will need to schedule a consultation with a plastic or oral maxillofacial surgeon to see what your options are.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction is unlikely to reduce a prominent chin

+1

Liposuction of the neck is an excellent means to correct fullness and lack of definition, however the forward projection of the chin will not change with liposuction. An overly prominent chin can have several causes, and often the underlying cause is within the bony structure of the face and jaws. If you have had braces on your teeth, your orthodontist may be able to explain the prominence based on the class of your bite, or the relationship as to how your teeth fit together. As mentioned, the prominence of the chin is related to the bone or facial skeleton not in the softer tissue. Corrections are possible though with procedures that move and change the shape of the bone, unfortunately not with liposuction.

peterejohnsonmd

Large chin

+1

WIthout examinng you , it would be difficult to say.  If they chin is large because of the bone, then you would need a bony reduction. If you are complaining about fullness underneath the chin, then you can have liposuction of that region.

Lipo for a Jay Leno Chin

+1

Dear Casey

It is a very rare situation that would allow for liposuction of the chin to be performed successfully to improve chin protrusion. The proper operation is a chin recession which can be performed by a plastic surgeon or a maxillofacial surgeon. It involves cutting the chin in a particular manner that is determined pre-operatively by special x-rays, sliding the chin backwards and securing it with small plates. It is a very successful operation when performed by an appropriately trained surgeon.

I would not recommend lipo for your problem based on your short history.

Steven Schuster MD FACS

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Botox for protruding chin?

+1

It is extremely unlikely that liposuctiong will help. Given that it is worse with smiling you may benefit from judicious injection of botox to relax the muscles of the chin. If the chin is protruding because of the bone you may need a major procedure.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon