How Are the Markings Done Before Liposuction?

Is there a certain way doctors mark you up before liposuction? Standard positions they have you stand in (or lay down) depending on the body area? I just want to get an idea of how most doctors do it so I know what to expect.

Markings before liposuction

+3

Preoperative markings are to a Plastic surgeon what musical notes and an arrangement are to a musician.

After consulting with the patient and having a clear idea of what we want to accomplish, we mark our patients in the standing position with the surgeon seated. Like a sculptor, we visualize the areas we want to reduce and we mark those with a series of concentric (circle with a circle) fashion.(Because it resembles military maps where the inner circle represents the highest elevation and the outer circle the flattest, it is referred also as topographic (or - Graphic representation of the surface features of a place or region on a map, indicating their relative positions and elevations)) markings.

Since the vast majority of liposuction is done with the patient lying down, these markings a very important in telling us how to to shape the underlying areas.

I hope this was helpful.

Markings for liposuction

+2

Patients are generally concerned with they way they appear in a mirror. However, surgery is usually accomplished in the supine (laying down) position. Therefore the prominent portions may not be noticeable when laying down. Think of the way breasts may fall to the side when you lay down. We often perform the markings with undergarments on to conceal the incisions within the covered portions.

A map for surgery

+2

Pre-operative marking for liposuction is key in performing an accurate surgical procedure. It is similat to a map with circles indicating the areas requiring lipousction. I use a plus and minus signs to indicate areas that should be avoided or even injected with some fat to correct dimpling or previous liposuction. Best of luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Preoperative markings are the surgeon's preference

+2

I am sure that each plastic surgeon has their own way of marking the patient. Markings mean something only to that particular plastic surgeon and they are used as guides during surgery.  Do not worry about the marks. Ask to see a surgeon's results.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction markings

+1

Patients are typically marked in the standing position with the location and access of marks confirmed with the patient laying down. The surgery is performed either supine (on your back) or prone (on your stomach), so if the marks made in the standing position are no ammenable to the operative position, position changes may have to be made. They are made in concentric circles over areas of elevation like a topographic map. I do make fanning lines so that a smooth transition from one area to another is performed, as well I mark the areas in close proximity that i don't want to touch with liposuction. Markings really are one of the most important parts of liposuction and they should be done effectively and thoughtfully.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Liposuction markings

+1

Most of the time, liposuction markings are done standing up.  Large circles are drawn over the areas to be suctioned, and the circles get small and smaller while concentrating on the most involved areas.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Markings for liposuction

+1

Markings for liposuction surgery is normally performed with the patient standing up. The areas that will be treated and discussed and concentric rings are drawn to show the areas of concentration. Each surgeon may have their own way of marking the patient. Communicate with your surgeon.

Liposuction markings will wash off

+1

Surgical markings are an important prep for any liposuction procedure. The markings are usually done with the patient prior to administering anesthesia. They are usually done with the patient in a standing position. As I outline the areas of the proposed liposuction I am also able to get feedback from the patient. The markings vary in color (blue, purple, black) and shape and sizes. What we are doing is creating a set of reference points from which we can work from. Oh and don't worry the marks will come off in a few days. They are a little stubborn but will eventually wash off.

Robert Vitolo, MD

Marking the Patient for Liposuction before surgery

+1

Dear Chilita

While every doctor has his or her preference for how surgery is done, some things are fairly standard. I am a firm believer in marking the patient standing in front of a 3 way mirror. This allows the patient and me to once again look at the areas to be suctioned so there is no confusion or misunderstanding. It also allows patients to see what areas I can't correct. To me the markings are my surgical outline to give a patient the best possible result. Speak to your plastic surgeon if you are concerned and discuss the markings with them. Check pre and post op photos to get an idea of your surgeons work.

Good luck with your surgery.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction markings

+1

While every plastic surgeon will have his or her own preferences, most will agree that markings for liposuction almost anywhere on the body should be done standing up. If the arms are being done, then the patient can be sitting, but with thier arms out a shoulder height and elbows bent 90 degrees.

I like to confirm the incision sites with my patients, so those are the first marks I make. Make sure you know where your surgeon will be placing these incisions so they will be kept well hidden underneath whatever style of clothing you tend to wear. A topigraphical map is then made of the areas to be liposuctioned and areas to be particularly focused on are circled.

Brian S. Glatt, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon