Liposuction for Losing Inches Safe Despite Being Overweight?

I am considering a form of liposuction to lose inches. I am overweight and have been working out, dieting and seeing a dietitian, but it seems most of my weight issues are in the trouble areas (Hips, Butt, and Tummy) and I can not for the life of me lose the weight/inches. I do not want lipo to lose weight. I know that is not the point of it, but I want to lose some inches in my abdominal area, butt area, and hips/thighs.

Is this possible and if so is it safe even if I am overweight (but healthy in every other aspect of my life)?

Liposuction to help lose inches

+2

Liposuction as you stated is not a weigh loss procedure.  It is a contouring or shaping procedure.  Liposuction can be done on your problem areas to help you lose inches as long as you are healthy.  Liposuction will still help you improve your shape even if you are overweight.  Continuing to lose weight and doing plenty of exercise will only help to accent your results.  Good Luck!

Yes, liposuction can be used to reduce volume of fat and therefore "inches"

+1

Hello Megs,

It sounds like you would like to pursue liposuction as a form of body contouring to reshape certain parts of your body as well as to decrease the size or circumference of areas of your body.  In this regard, liposuction can be used effectively.  The type of liposuction is not as important as the plastic surgeon performing it.  I would obtain a few consultations with board certified plastic surgeons and discuss your body contouring goals.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Lipo to remove inches

+1

Lipo is not a weight loss procedure as you have mentioned.  However, lipo is for moderate sculpting which could help improve your shape. The answer to your question lies in if you want an improved shape or just loss of inches. After lipo you will gain inches and as the swelling subsides you will trim down. Further, there is an issue of skin quality. Removing fat without having good elastic skin will just leave sagging skin devoid of fat.See a BC plastic surgeon for a real evaluation.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Post liposuction

+1

Possibly, but you also don’t want the fat to return quickly if your metabolism is such that you burn fewer calories than usual on a day to day basis. You should have a consultation with a nutritionist to carefully and honestly examine your caloric daily intake and manage this before surgery so that postoperatively you maintain the fat reduction. The volume removed needs to be of a safe amount and depending on how much is to be removed, the surgeon may recommend that it is done as more than one procedure.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction is safer if you don't do it under general anesthesia

+1

Liposuction should be just fine for you to do and is a great motivator to continue to lose weight and exercise when you see the difference liposuction makes. Go ahead and get it done. You will be so happy you did.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction for body contouring

+1

It really depends on what you mean by overweight. It will help contour areas and allow a nicer shape to your overall body but it all depends on how much overweight you are. There is a limit to how much liposuction can be done as an outpatient and that needs to be kept in mind.

Hope that answers your questions.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Liposuction to contour

+1

Yes, liposuction can contour problem areas, but you are probably better off losing the weight that you want first, and then treating the problem areas.

Liposuction for losing inches in overweight patient

+1

Dear Meg,

As I understand your question - you are asking if it may be safe to have liposuction NOT as an obesity cure but rather to remove away a few inches.

Liposuction is generally a very safe procedure IF you have no underlying silent medical conditions AND if the amount of actual fat removed is under 5 liters (4.4 imperial Quarts). Once we suction more than this, further care needs to be instituted (IV, observation etc).

THE question therefore is HOW much will removal of 5 liters of fat from you translate into inches? Hard to guess. But - if you were willing to do it in stages - for example doing tummy one time. When you are recovered do the back / hips - there is no reason why you should not have it done this way.

You may wish to ask this directly of Dr. Rand who practices in the Seattle area, has a great reputation and is a frequent contributor to this website.

Good Luck.

Liposuction as contouring procedure

+1

While you might lose inches as a side effect, liposuction or other body-contouring procedures are used in order to contour or shape the body. Measurements may change but is not the primary goal or intent of the surgery. Admitting to being overweight is important and may or may not disqualify you as a reasonable candidate for surgery. Seek out a respected and responsible plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Lipo is for shaping

+1

Dear Megs,

Liposuction will help shape the body even if you are heavier than you desire. Provided the issue that bothers you is fairly discrete, liposuction can provide some improvement. However, if every thing needs to be smaller, you are likely to be disappointed with the liposuction. Remember, liposuction will not translate into weight reduction. Every ounce that is removed will be coming back. What determines your body mass is what you eat and how much you metabolize. So, it is all coming back unless you change how you eat or how much exercise you do. The fat that does come back tends to be more uniformily distributed. However, when I hear that the goal is weight reduction or reduction in dress size, I am concerned that liposuction may not achieve your goal.