Choosing the Best Liposuction Surgeon?

I am considering Liposuction and have seen three ASPS-certified surgeons. Their total surgeon's fees for the same body areas range from $3500-$6200. The anesthesia fee is the same for all, and the facilities fee varies from $1500-$2470 (they use different hospitals). I want the best surgeon, not the cheapest, and am not going to make a decision based on cost. However, this is a substantial that I would like to discuss, considering I preferred the physician with the highest fee. Any advice for approaching this discussion? Thank you for your help.

Liposuction Surgeon in Phoenix

+2

Liposuction is a very common procedure in my practice. I think you should do your due diligence and make sure you are consulting with Board certified plastic surgeons and check out their qualifications with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Pricing does vary among surgeons so the main concern is qualifications and if your surgeon is using an out patient facility and a board certified anesthesiologist. Another consideration is the amount of liposuction your requiring and the number of areas your considering. In my practice I charge the client by the amount of time for the operation not the number of areas. I believe this gives the client a better option and is more cost effective. Also healing time can be the same.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

How to choose the Best Liposuction Surgeon.

+1

There are many variables to consider. Tumescent liposuction done under local anesthesia with the small micro canulas give the best results by far. Tumescent liposuction was invented and liposuction in general was advanced by derm surgeons (not general plastic surgeons). Find a board certified derm surgeon with many yrs of lipo experience who you feel comfortable with and who has great before and after photos and who has their own accredited surgical facility. Hospitals are one of the surest ways to get infections so I recommend avoiding them at all costs. Don't be put under general anesthesia. It is just too risky. If you are awake and comfortable and able to stand up and move in all positions during your lipo, then the doc can really fine tune the results to give you the best outcome in the safest way. The smaller the canula, the smoother the results. Most docs who still do the old method of lipo (which we all did many yrs ago) under gen anesth and who typically use the big scary canulas, don't tend to have great results and need to do many touchups which really never quite fix the problems well enough. Make sure you have a great repoire with your doc since he/she needs to be there for you to hold your hand throughout the whole recovery period to make the whole process easy. Avoid gimmicky things like laser/ ultrasound lipos since they have their own list of problems and complications. Tumescent lipo under local with the micro canulas tends to be the most expensive method of lipo with the best results and is so worth it. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

How to choose the best surgeon for me?

+1

Hi there-

This really is a universal question. Let's first understand that what you are really asking is, "how do I maximize my chances of getting the outcome I want, with safety, in a comfortable and pleasant experience?".
It is important to understand that while your chosen surgeon is probably the most important factor in achieving the above, there are other important considerations as well. Here are my thoughts about how best to go about this...
Find a surgeon you really like FIRST. Too many patients search for a price they like, or for a surgeon who is willing to do a certain procedure on them (whether it is really in their best interests or not). First and foremost, you should be looking for a quality education, top-notch training in plastic surgery, with board certification BY THE AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY (there are many "boards", but only certification by The American Board of Plastic Surgery ensures you that the surgeon has undergone the years of plastic surgery specific training and examination you want). Provided the surgeon has these qualifications, it is important that you like them and feel you can get along well with them- you are, after all, entering into an important relationship. If these two criteria are satisfied, it's time to evaluate his/her work and expertise... ask to see examples of his/her work, and maybe even to talk to some former patients. They will be best able to tell you what it was like to be cared for by this surgeon. Whatever you do, remember that quality professional treatment (whether by a plastic surgeon, an architect, or any other professional) will carry a price appropriate for the surgeon's level of training and expertise. Shopping for a low price will usually lead to the difficult re-learning of the lesson that "you will get what you paid for".
Once you have found a surgeon you like, it is important to know about THE FACILITY, and who will be providing your ANESTHESIA. Having a great surgeon won't matter if the facility is less than safe, or if your anesthesia provider is under-qualified or suspect. Most good surgeons make sure the facilities and anesthesia providers they use are reputable, but this is not always the case, particularly as surgeons have scrambled (like everyone else) to save money in these more difficult times. It is very important that the facility is certified by either the JCAHO or AAAASF. These regulatory bodies inspect facilities for safety and cleanliness, as well as verifying the training of the personnel involved in your care.
Your anesthesia provider can be a qualified nurse anesthetist, or an anesthesiologist (a doctor of anesthesia). My personal opinion is that the additional cost of having an anesthesiologist present and managing your care is more than worth it.
I hope this helps you!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Choosing a liposuction surgeon

+1

The best way to get a good reference is if you are fortunate enough to speak with many patients who have had the procedure and find out about the doctors they've used. A great resource is your primary care physician who may know of the repuation of excellent surgeons in your area. Board-certified dermatologists (the inventor of tumescent liposuction is a dermatologist) and plastic surgeons perform liposuction. Whether they decide to join a specialty's society such as the ASPS or the ASDS does not indicate their excellence in this procedure.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Choosing the right plastic surgeon

+1

Hi Liv39 - I would recommend going with the surgeon with whom you feel the most comfortable with. This involves good before and after photos, a great staff who is willing to be there and answer the phone after the procedure in case you have any problems, and talking with other patients of the particular plastic surgeon who have had the same procedure. Taking all of these things into account will hopefully help. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Some tips on picking a plastic surgeon.

+1

Hi!

1) Is the surgeon a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Members usually do a lot of cosmetic surgery.

2) Did you sense a commitment to excellence in the office. Did the surgeon spend a lot of time with you? Someone who rushes through the consultation may rush through the surgery.

3) Were you treated as an individual? Did the surgeon present you with a surgical plan tailor made for you?

4) Did the surgeon show you A LOT of before and after pictures, and did you love the results?

5) Talk to other doctors you know. Established plastic surgeons have a reputation in the community, good or bad.

6) If still not sure, ask to speak to a patient who has had liposuction with this surgeon. We have lots of patients who are eager to share their experience.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

How to choose the Best plastic surgeon

+1

This is a very good question that goes beyond liposuctioning. What does it mean to be the best? The surgeon should have the skill and experience to do the procedure and should have the ability to explain the procedure, its risks, complications benefits and alternatives. The surgeon should be able to show you pictures of real results, good and bad. You should also be able to speak with former patients who have had the same procedure that you anticipate having. If the surgeon only does one type of surgery, for example he is only a lipocution Dr, that says that he is able to make a living doing only one thing and that he has loads of experience doing that one thing since he is still in business even with a limited scope of practice.

Ultimately, the best means that the Dr. has consistently good to exellent results, minimal complications, low revisional rates and happy patients. Hopefully all of us board certified plastic surgeons are the best at some point in our lives.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and price

+1

Surgeon's fees vary for numerous reasons.  Choose the person that you feel will give you the best results.  As for asking for a lower fee from the most expensive doctor, that is difficult to answer.

Liposuction Surgeon and Costs

+1

Costs are often quite variable - I think the most important issue is how comfortable you are with the surgeon - do you feel that you can communicate openly and honestly with him/ her? Is the surgeon and their staff approachable? Is there a relaxed atmosphere in the office?

Once you have focused on two or three surgeons, you should make sure that they are board certified by the ABPS. Ask to see photos of consecutive patients or their best and worst patients. Ask to speak to previous patients. Check what your price includes eg. anesthesia, facility, garment, professional fees. Always check that the surgeries are performed in an accredited facility, and the anesthesia is being performed by a nurse anesthetist or anesthesiologist.

Finally, don't rely too much on the hype of some of the newer machines - the most important issue is that you are going to have a positive experience from this surgery. Occasionally, surgeon's fees may be higher because they are using newer, more expensive machines that don't necessarily yield better results.

Wilfred Brown, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a ASPS certified plastic surgeon

+1

I congratulate you on choosing ASPS certified plastic surgeons to evaluate you for liposuction. I would agree that price should not be the only determining factor for you. You should choose the plastic surgeon and their staff who you feel most comfortable. Before and after photos can give you a sense of the surgeons work. Also, some of my patients who are considering a surgery will ask to speak with one of my patients who has had the procedure. This way they can ask them specific questions about the procedure. By asking this information, it will give you a better sense of who you want to do the procedure.

I always tell my patients, it is not necessarily how much fat I remove, it is more important how much fat I leave.

Andrew Y. Kleinman, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon