Liposuction Vs Abdominoplasty for Male Who Had Massive Weight Loss?

Dear Doctors, When I was 17, I lost 80 lbs over 8 months. Now I'm a medium (soft) kind of build, 25, 6'1", 177lbs. I go to gym 7 days a week for a hour. My stomach now sags excessively, very wobbly. My question is, how much do I need to weight? 160lbs? I'd like a number people my size should be if possible & will the abdominal skin shrink back? If I can't lose this skin or fat, (I'm not sure what it is), do you recommend Liposuction? What kind/where? Or is a Tummy tuck more appropriate? Please Help.

Abominoplasty or tummy tuck is what you would need at this stage.

+2

Unfortunately some people's skin doesn't have enough elasticity to recoil after weight loss.  It doesn't look like you need to lose any more weight.  All you have now is loose skin that needs to be surgically removed. 

Body After Massive Weight Loss.

+1
Congratulations on your weight loss! You've done a terrific job! Your picture shows a lot of lose skin in your abdominal area without excess fat. Your skin may have lost its elasticity and not be able to shrink down again without surgical help. I would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon about having some of the skin removed. This is different from liposuction, which removes fat. You may be a candidate for abdominoplasty, or surgery on the skin and muscles of abdomen to give your midsection to a stronger, flatter appearance. Best Wishes!.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Circumferential Body Lift

+1
The most suitable treatment would be determined by a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, however based on the info you've provided, you will probably benefit most from a circumferential body lift. This surgery involves removing the excess skin and fat in your midsection, and is most often performed on individuals who have lost a lot of weight, like you have. 

Congratulations on losing all that weight, by the way!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Abdominoplasty Is Normally Required to Optimally Restore Contour Following Massive Weight Loss

+1

Massive weight loss often results in a significant amount of loose skin.  Normally, this loose skin has a significant amount of associated stretch marks.  Stretch marks tell us that the skin has been damaged in the deeper layers.  This type of damage prevents the skin from retracting back to its normal state after underlying fat has been removed.  When considering the abdomen, if an overhang of skin is present, even in the absence of stretch marks, one would expect the overhang to persist after any type of liposuction.  In general, abdominoplasty is normally required to optimally restore the contour of the abdomen in a patient who has had massive weight loss.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs tummy tuck for people after major weight loss!

+1

after major weight loss people are left with basically loose skin. The only practical answer for this is tummy tuck or body lift and not liposuction.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck after weight loss - Los Angeles

+1

With large volume weight loss, I would opt for a tummy tuck to reduce the skin excess. Rafy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Male abdominoplasty

+1

There is no question that you are not a candidate for liposuction.  You have loose skin that can only be improved with skin removal.  YOU would be a candidate for a skin only abdominoplasty or possibly lower body lift. 

Liposuction vs. Abdominoplasty for Male After Massive Weight Loss

+1

First, congratulations on your weight loss.  Liposuction is very good at removing fat.  It looks by your description and photos that you have extra skin.  The Abdominoplasty is the recommended operation to address that situation.  Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon.  They will guide you through the process.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Abdominoplasty is necessary to remove excess skin

+1

Congratulations on your weightloss and your continued healthy lifestyle.  Unfortunately, it is common to be left with a significant amount of extra skin with fluctuations in weight like those that you have experienced.  The amount of extra skin that you demonstrate in your photo will not go away on its own and will not be adequately addressed by a minimally invasive procedure like liposuction.  Abdominoplasty will remove the excess skin and will give you a tight, flat contour to your abdomen that improved condition of the muscles under the skin. 

I do not prescribe a specific weight for my patients prior to abdominoplasty, but I do find that the best results are achieved when a person is at a stable weight and level of fitness.  I encourage my patients to maintain a weight at which they are comfortable for at least 3-6 months prior to surgery.  Significant changes in fitness in the future could compromise your results and should be avoided, if possible.

Emily A. Williams, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck is the Best Option for Removal of Excess Skin Following Major Weight Loss

+1

In the majority of patients, massive weight loss is accompanied by the development of loose, saggy skin. Unfortunately, when this scenario arises, liposuction is not a viable alternative because it does not address the primary problem.
Under these circumstances, removal of excess skin and sometimes tightening of the underlying muscles is necessary. Abdominoplasty addresses these issues and has extremely high satisfaction rates. The recovery following a tummy tuck takes more time, but the final result is better than with liposuction alone.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon