Harvesting Fat on Abdomen Fat Liposuctioned Twice?

I need to know if the remaining dregs of fat in my abdomen can be harvested for grafting, despite the fact it has been liposuctioned twice? I desperately want the damage done to my legs through liposuction repaired and I am very short on spare fat. I intend to get a tummy tuck so about half the flab on my belly will be thrown away and damage to this piece of skin wont be an issue.

Too much liposuction

+2

It sounds like your legs have been damaged from overdone liposuction and now you are contemplating a third liposuction procedure to the abdomen to try to correct the legs. What if the legs are no better and now your abdomen is damaged like your legs? Maybe you should stop before too much damage is done that cannot be corrected. Just a thought...

Use abdominal dermolipectomy (tummy tuck) fat for injection or grafting

+1

I think that this is a reasonable option and depending on the quality of the remaining fat, it is very likely that you will be able to harvest sufficient tissue to transplant to your legs. I have used this fat on occasion when performing a simultaneous abdominoplasty and Brazilian Butt Lift

Fat Grafting and Liposuction

+1

If you have already had liposuction in the area twice, the chance that you get enough fat for grafting is poor. After liposuction, the areas normally develop fibrous tissue surrounding the remaining fat. This makes if very difficult to harvest and what is harvested is less useable for grafting.

David Shafer, MD

Fat grafting in a post liposuction area

+1

My experience with harvesting fat in an area where previous liposuction was done has been that it is harder to harvest high volumes of fat due to the scarring and fibrosis.

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Harvesting fat on abdomen fat liposuctioned twice?

+1

The real question is NOT can the fat in your abdominal wall be suctioned for grafting elsewhere. The question is do you have enough viable fat in your abdominal wall that can be suctioned to satisfy the needed grafting volume elsewhere.

Classically, each liposuction procedure introduces more scarring and makes subsequent liposuction harder. The VASER liposuction uses ultrasound waves to literally shake fat cells to their breaking point regardless if they are hiding behind scar tissue. BUT if the objective is to obtain live fat cells for grafting, the VASER (or laser) liposuction should not be used.

If you are about to undergo an abdominoplasty anyway, there is nothing to lose by attempting harvesting of the fat from the lower tummy for grafting. If the volume of fat needed is not extreme, it should work out.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD