Advice on Fat Distribution After Liposculpture?

I’m planning to have a liposculpture in the abdomen area (to remove a small amount of fat from my first baby) and get pregnant 1 year after. I understand that fat won’t appear in the treated area but a friend told me that since my body will generate the same amount of fat during pregnancy, the “new” fat, instead of being distributed all over my body (including the abdomen), will find its way to other parts of my body (ie, arms, legs, back). I don’t want to end up with legs like an elephant’s. Any advice?

Redistribution of fat following liposuction and weight gain

+3

You will gain fat in areas that were not treated. The degree of fat growth obviously depends on the amount of weight gain as well as your genetic tendencies for fat deposition. It is unlikeley that you will gain suffcient fat to have elephant legs but you may notice that they are heavier. If you return to your pre-pregnancy weight, most of this fat should resolve.

+2

After liposuction, there will be less fat cells under the treated areas than before surgery. Therefore, there will be less storage areas for fat to deposit into. If your body is producing more fat than it usually does, then the excess will distribute to all the fat cells in the body as directed by hormones. It is therefore obvious that your treated areas i.e. abdomen and flanks will be getting less of this fat than other areas. And this is how other areas may get more fat .

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

New Fat DOES NOT "find its way"

+2

New fat does not Zen-like "find its way" elsewhere after liposuction. This is one of the most common Liposuction myths out there. But - it is a myth. Liposuction removes PART of the fat in an area BUT if the body is overwhelmed by a large amount of calories which are NOT burned they are stored PROPORTIONATELY in every remaining fat cell in the body.

The take home lesson: Liposuction is NOT a Get-out-of-Jail-All-You-Can-Eat ticket and will not protect you from the consequences of over-eating.

Dr. P. Aldea

Significant weight gain after liposuction can cause new fat accumulation in treated areas

+2

It is true that once fat cells have been removed with liposuction you will not accumulate fat in those cells that have been removed.

However not all of your fat cells are removed from an area treated with liposuction.

One fat cell can increase in size to 4 times it's normal size when excess weight gain occurs.

Thus the fat cells left behind after lipo can substantially increase in size after Lipo if you gain a significant amount of weight.

The point is to wait until you are done having children and have reached a stable weight that you can maintain before having liposuction.

It is disingenuous for anyone to tell you that you will never gain fat in an area that has been treated with lipo. This is only true if you never gain substantial weight and fat after the procedure--and pregnancy will cuase weiught gain and stretching effects on the skin.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

WHERE DOES FAT GO

+1

Your friend is smart. After puberty we dont make more fat cells. That being said we have evidence during pregnancy that you do make some fat cells. Fat will be distributed in a female proportion when weight is gained in a women after liposuction. You will only notice if you gain a lot of weight

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Fat distribution

+1

Most fat is genetically programmed.  There is superficial and deep fat that is separated by a thin septa. Liposuction target only the superficial fat, while the deep fat is left behind. Any attempt to remove the deep fat will cause uneven lumpiness that is hard to correct. There is also visceral fat which is the fat that surrounds intestines.and other organs. This fat is only influenced by diet and exercise.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Weight gain after liposuction - Los Angeles

+1

Liposculpture is useful for those patients who want to eliminate disproportional fat on their body.  It is a well defined procedure with amazing results, provided you do not have severe weight gain afterwards. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

New fat deposits are specifically directed after liposuction

+1

Fat does not go where ever it wants after liposuction as many patients fear. Fat is directed by hormone receptors and will vary with the age of the patient. For instance young women will frequently add fat to hips and thighs, middle aged women to abdomen adn flanks, and premenopausal women to arms, shoulders, and breasts.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Liposculpture of abdomen

+1

Liposculpture is a powerful and effective technique to recontour the abdomen. For the best result, your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon is a great deal of experience not only with liposuction and liposculpture up with tummy tucks and mini tummy tucks. This plastic surgeon will be able to evaluate you and let you know if you are a good candidate for liposuction or if this procedure should be combined with another small procedure such as a tummy tuck. The great results but you can expect is dependent on the quality of the overlying skin. If the skin is damaged or have stretch marks you may benefit from having a portion of the skin removed through a excision procedure such as a tummy tuck.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Fat distribution after Lipo

+1

In most individuals, we are born with all of the fat cells we will have during our lifetime (only if you consume an extreme excess of calories will your body then generate more fat cells). Thus, once fat is removed from liposuction, it will not return under normal circumstances.

As one gains weight, it normally occurs in a regular progression (abdomen, thighs, hips, arms, face etc etc). This is different for every patient. Once particular areas are depleted of fat through lipo, you will not experience the same progression. If you are used to putting fat on in your abdomen or waist before you see it in your thighs - you may not have this "experience" if the abdomen has undergone lipo already. Thus, fat may appear in areas before you "expect" it, but it is still the same progression you have always had. Thus, if you maintain your weight, your body will not change, but lipo does not stop you from gaining weight in the future.
Make an effort to return to your normal routine of diet and exercise once you have recovered from the pregnancy and your body should follow suit.

Vincent P. Marin, MD