Is It Possible to Remove the Excess Tissue from Lip?

I had stitches removed from my upper lip 16 years ago. Underneath the upper lip there is a lump of tissue that protrudes out from under my lip. Is it possible to get that extra tissue removed?

Best treatment for scar tissue below lip

+2

The extra tissue that you refer to has to be hypertrophic (thick) scar from the original accident that required stitches. It should be relatively easy to remove that scar and close the skin with good cosmetic results. Clean and sharp incisions heal much better than traumatic lacerations.

Extra tissue in lip

+2

Perhaps you developed scar tissue in the lip?  This can be removed by opening the old scar and removing some of the firm tissue. This may come back, but it may not.

Fixing a bump in the lip that is formed after suture placement

+1

Sounds like some residual scar tissue; which can be removed with an outpatient scar revision of the lip.

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

Scar tissue lump in lip

+1

Yes it is possible to remove the tissue from the lip and perform a scar revision. In some instances if the scar tissue is the problem, steroids can be injected to soften and flatten the scar.

Removal of extra tissue

+1

It would almost certainly be possible to remove extra tissue from your lip.  This could be done under local anesthesia and the stitches could all be dissolvable.