Reconstructive Surgery to Repair Lip Line?

Dear Drs, I was in an accident a few years ago. My upper lip was damage extensively  to the point where it looks like its burned. The problem with the upper lip is the uneven lip line (new reconstructive surgery is necessary) plus the scarring. Is it possible to eliminate or reduce the scarring? I'm search of the excellent doctor. 

Reconstructive Lip surgery possible for most

+1

The most likely answer to your multiple questions is yes your scarring usually can be improved. Best advice: seek consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon

Lip line

+1

sometimes multiple procedures are necessary to correct or improve the white line. photographs would be vey helpful for more input 

Usually....

+1

There are many ways to address these kinds of problems but the exact nature of the problem needs to be known first. I suggest you see a good local plastic surgeon for an opinion.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Methods to repair upper lip

+1

Dear Said, Pictures would be very helpful to answer your question. My sense from your description is that you have prominent scarring which can be improved with dermabrasion and/ or scar revision as well as a vermilion border ("lip line") that is uneven. The vermilion can be realigned with Z-plasty or simple scar revision techniques. Please provide a photo for more accurate recommendations.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/scar-treatments/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Much can be done to improve facial scarring

+1

Without the what could benefit of a photo its impossible to explain exactly what could be done to improve the appearance of your lip. There are a variety of techniques to restore the continuity of your lip. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon for an expert opinion.

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com

Lip reconstruction is possible

+1

There are multiple methods for repair of the lip after trauma. Additional surgeries can be undertaken to remove scar, move the red or white portion of the lip, and smooth out fullness which happens after lip injury. Consultation with a facial plastic surgeon would be necessary to determine your best option.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Need pictures to best answer this question

+1

Lip defects, from trauma or cancer, can be very challenging. There are so many variables to take into account ranging from size of defect, position,structures involved,etc. That being said, lip reconstruction can often be very successful in skilled, experienced hands. I have performed hundreds of lip surgeries and can usually achive an excellent result. Realistic expectations are the key, and if improvement is the goal rather than absolute perfection, you most likely will be satisfied.

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Reconstructive surgery for lip line

+1

Usaid

There are many ways to even up the lip line and lessen the scar. These methods, in my mind and experience, are based on principles of cleft lip repair. No matter what method(s) are used the are several options to correct your problem.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Lip Scar Deformity Treatment

+1

Upper and lower lip scars can become quite evident and aesthetically unsatisfactory. I perform a large number of secondary surgical repairs of the lips. We typically use basic anatomic preservation or reconstructive techniques to reestablish lip contour.

Reconstructive surgery to repair lip line?

+1

Said,

There are at least 10 different way to repair upper lip defects, many of which are used when a piece is either bit off or removed for cancer.

The EXACT method of reconstruction would depend on how much of the lip is damaged and where on the upper lip the damage is located (CENTRAL vs. LATERAL).

Your best bet is to find a plastic surgeon who does lip reconstruction for skin cancer and trauma. Odds are very good that whatever you have is fixable.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS
www.TheBeautyDoctors.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.