Lip Augmentation Risks and Side Effects?

Before I go for it, I want to know what can go wrong with lip augmentation.  What are all of the possible side effects of lip augmentation, and what's the method for lip augmentation with fewest risks?

Lip augmentation options

+1
We usually start out with a hyaluronic acid based filler, (i.e.; juvederm, restylane). It usually gives soft, kissable, natural results. Best to see a few experienced injectors and see what they offer. See a few injectors. Ask to see their photos.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/face-and-skin/injectables

Hyaluronic Acid Fillers Offer Least Risk

+1

If you are seeking lip augmentation with the least amount of risk, you should opt for one of the hyaluronic fillers. Possible side effects include swelling, bruising, bumps which may last quite awhile and asymmetric.

Choose your physician carefully. There is a whole sub-genre in TV and movies making fun of the results (see First Wive's Club, Lisa Renna, etc.). Everything from the platypus look, trout pout, sausage lips, stripper lips. None of these results are in anyway flattering. They can be avoided by making sure your physician is experienced and conservative.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Lip augmentation

+1

Fillers in the lips can cause prolonged swelling, asymetries and possible lumps. I would start with a small volume of a hyaluronic acid based filler, see how you like it and then add more in 2 to 4 weeks when the main swelling resolves. In general it is very safe and patient satisfaction is high!

Lip Service

+1

Please have a clear idea of what you want to achieve before going in for any lip augmentation, either with injections or a permanent implant. The lips have to appear to fit the rest of your face so if you have very Caucasian features, it would be wrong to ask for African lips. Also the number of atrocious lip augmentations which appear daily on the net or tube are really on the rise. Patients ask me why celebrities agreed to have oversized lips and I can only guess that they didn't really have a road map and entrusted the enhancement to their surgeon or injector.

Aging causes a thinning of almost everyone's lips and the "solutions" range from cosmeticeuticals to injections to surgery. Cosmeceuticals are generally lip glosses, which burn like H***!, believe me I tried some, so I could get an idea of what women use. Their primary effect is to cause a chemical irritation to the skin, so it will swell. The results are short lived and in my opinion, not very predictable.

Injectors have used everything from fat injections, dermal fat grafts, fascial grafts, which are "spare parts" from the patient's own body to off the shelf fillers. I have used quite a few of them:

a) Bovine collagen;

b) Human collagen;

c) Cymmetra (acellular cadaveric graft);

d) Fascian (acellular cadaveric fascia);

e) Radiesse; f) Restylane;

g) Juvederm.

There are also other fillers, which are not recommended for lip augmentation, but some injectors use them any way. I am philosophically opposed to injecting Silicone in any form because I have had the experience of trying to surgically remove it from individuals who had silicone injections and all had the same experience: latent development of hard lumps and alterations in sensations.

The surgical placement of lip implants is challenging because everyone's face is slightly uneven and that includes the lips. Some implants which have been used were made of Goretex & Silicone. They are prone to migrate, extrude and look quite unnatural when people are talking. Not a great fan.

Risks include: Bleeding, infection, numbness to the lips, scars, unnevenness, need to repeat the procedure, delayed allergic reactions, lumps and bumps, unsatisfactory appearance. Look back at your baby pictures to get an idea of the maximum size your lips were but also look how full your face was. My advice: augment slowly and artistically with a material which will enhance your beauty, not detract from it.