Lines Under Eyes, Only 24 Years Old, How Do I Get Rid of These?

The photo is not very clear but there are 2 visible creases, and even more beneath that (5 or 6) that look like they will eventually turn into creases that extend from under my eye over the top of my cheek. These are visible when I smile. I have quite thick cheeks and the skin under my eyes is very thin and seems looser than it used to be. After my eyes were swollen from allergies this summer it got worse. Would anythin remove these completely?

Lower eyelid lines in a young woman

+2

Lower eyelid lines at rest and while smiling in a young patient is indicative of underlying loss of skin elasticity from sun damage. Start with daily use of a good sunscreen to prevent further damage, consider getting on a good skin care regimen with tretinoin cream, alpha hydroxy acids. Botox can help but be careful in this area because a little too much and too deep and you can get a flaccid orbicularis oculi muscle which will cause other issues. For the lines at rest, fractional CO2 resurfacing by such lasers as Fraxel or Matrix can help tremendously.

Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye wrinkles in a young woman

+2

Eye wrinkles in a young person may be the result of many things. Including a normal lower lid crease related to the muscle.  I probably would not suggest anything to you.  WIthout an exam it would be difficult to tell.  

Treatments for 24 year old with lines under the eyes

+1

According to the picture, even at age 24, there are excess fat bags in the lower lids present. Make sure that any allergies are under control and try a low-salt diet as excess salt can exacerbate the bags by fluid shift into this area. Allergies can be controlled with nasal sprays, antihistamines, and decongestants. If all else fails, transconjunctival blepharoplasties on the low lids can be performed to remove the fat pads causing the tired look.

"Lines Under The Eyes"

+1

Thank you for your question. Simply things I tell my patients, try not to rub the eyes as the skin is thin and easily damaged. Rubbing the eyes can also lead to increased broken capillaries causing the so called dark circles. You mentioned allergies, controlling them with medication may hlp alleviate the swelling around the eyes.

A hyraluonic acid will help fill in the tear trough where you look to have depleted volume. You are young but this can be hereditary. If you are mentioning fine lines on the side of the eyes, the so called crows feet this is easily treated with small doses of Botox. This is something to consider as you get older and those lines become deeper. lastly tissus resurfacing of the lower lids can help even out skin texture. if you are darkly pigmented I would caution againist this as your skin can lighten. None the less resurfacing is done with a laser or a face pel such as a TCA peel.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Conservative approach for lines under eyes on young patient

+1

As you can read most responders are in favor of a CONSERVATIVE approach. I too would try Botox first, better sun protection, than on to the fillers like restylane (first). Even IPL or light skin lasers can improve this. 

Just be careful out there. Slow is better than in a hurry for the result.

Treatment for lower eyelid wrinkles in a young patient

+1

The photo you have submitted is not very clear but I can say that excellent results can be achieved with injectable fillers placed where your lower lid meets your cheek. Make sure that the physician you see does a lot of this procedure. Your best outcome will definitely depend on the comfort your MD has with filling this area and with his and her comfort and familiarity with the various products available for this.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra Will Thicken Your Skin and Minimize Wrinkles.

+1

I have 4 suggestions, but the only novel suggestion is Sculptra....

1. Avoid the sun: You have a lot of sun damage for such a young woman. Please stay out of the sun. Wear a large hat and sunscreen when you are outside.
  2. Resurfacing laser: Various lasers can be used to remove the pigment/freckles from your skin and provide some skin tightening.
  3. Botox/Dysport: Neurotoxins like Botox and Dysport can minimize your dynamic wrinkles (the wrinkles that occur when you smile).
  4. Sculptra: Rather than Juvederm or Restylane, I have had terrific results with Sculptra for filling the upper face. There is good evidence that Sculptra will also increase the apparent thickness of the skin, and will provide improvement in skin texture.

Good luck!

Michael C. Pickart, MD
Ventura Plastic Surgeon

Options for under eye lines

+1

First, as Dr. Placik said, start with Botox if the lines are smile related. Secondly, do better with sun protection as you already have a lot of freckles and over time your skin won't handle the sun well. Third, use fillers such as Juvederm if there are hollows called "tear troughs" that show up as deep grooves over the bone rim below the lid. Topical skin care and even lasers can also help, but start with the skin care, Botox and sun avoidance.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Start with Botox

+1

If the lines worsen with smiling Botox may help soften the appearance of these lines by diminishing the underlying muscle activity. There are multiple other options including the use of chemical peels and laser treatments. Unfortunately because they are associated with smiling, it is likely that they will recur..

Lines under the eys

+1

There are various treatments ranging from topicals to laser treatments to surgical. You do not need a surgical approach, but the Fraxel laser and similar technology has been very good for fine wrinkles of the face and lids as well as for facial rejuvenation. Mild chemical peels may work well in early cases. So get an evaluation by a board certified plastic, facial plastic or ophthalmic plastic surgeon. Only after an in-depth history and physical examination would he/she be able to tell you what may work best in your case. You also want to know how to treat your skin before and after any procedure to maximize the results and prolong the effects. So a good medical aesthetician in your physician's practice is important.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon