Less Costly Facelift That Will Tighten More Than Just Skin?

I want a lift, and I dont have a lot of money, however I want more done than just skin...like deep tissue and muscle and jowls...what should I do?

"Skin Only" is not a Facelift

+2

Hello Dylan,

You've gotten some great advice from the other Doctors, but just to be thorough I wanted to add one thing:

There is no such thing as a "skin only" facelift! All worthwhile facelifts include some way of elevating the SMAS layer (the fibro-muscular layer that gravity pulls down to cause jowls). There are procedures done where only skin is removed / tightened but these are almost always done for patients who have already had some form of facelift and need a "touch up" procedure to remove excess skin.

Good Luck to you and keep your safety and well being ahead of costs - if you must take your time and save up for a procedure that will be effective and rewarding to you. Given today's economy you will be able to find quality care at a reasonable expense (even in high end private practices).

Take Care,

Dr. Kamran Jafri

Best to save until you can afford it.

+2

All of us would like a Ferrari for the price of a Ford. Save your money and don't look for a deal. You will find out the hard way why is was cheap and then it often cannot be repaired. You can try Medical Centers in your area to see if they have a teaching program for residents that are supervised by an experienced surgeon, Often you can save that way.

Facelift Discount

+2

Dylan,

I understand your dilemma. You may want to consider going to your local university hospital that has an accredited plastic and reconstructive surgery program. Such programs typically have "resident clinics" which are overseen by Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. You will likely be able to get your procedure at a markedly reduced price, yet still have the reassurance that the procedure is being performed and overseen by properly trained individuals. Best of luck!

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Lift price

+1
I agree you can go to a university resident training program and get a discount. This is where many procedures are done in a safe monitored environment. All surgeons have to learn and train and doing facelifts is the same as other surgery training. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Look at results for value not simply cost

+1

Cost is not the only determinant, results should be. The basis of a facelift is not pulling the skin rather it is repositioning of tissues under the skin and then re-draping the skin over the more youthful understructure. In some patients neck liposuction, fat grafting and other procedures to the eyes or forehead are done concurrently. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to get a detailed exam and treatment plan. Most have complimentary or low cost consultations.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Less Costly Facelift

+1

The first step is to consult with 2 -3 surgeons in your area.  Find one that has the expertise, experience, approach, and understanding that you want.  Attempt to explain to him your budgetary situation.  If reasonable, then you may be able to find a fit.  If this does not work, explore financing the surgery through a reputable third party financing company such as CareCredit. Don't compromise on quality for elective surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Less Costly Facelift

+1

Price does not equate to results in facelift surgery or plastic surgery in general.  Seek the best surgeon you can afford who will perform an anatomically correct facelift.  The rule in plastic surgery "It is better to save up the first time and get it right, then to have to pay for a second more expensive procedure to fix the first."

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Comprehensive face/neck lift involves more than just skin tightening

+1

A comprehensive face/neck lift involves removing fat from underneath the skin and below the platysma muscle in the neck. It also involves tightening the muscles in the neck, in front of the neck, the posterior portion of the neck, and along the cheekbone area. Once the muscle and fascial layers are tightened, the skin is then tightened. This is approximately a three-hour surgery, which gives a comprehensive rejuvenation of the face and costs approximately $11,000. This price includes the operating room, general anesthesia costs, and the surgeon’s fee for performing the above procedure.

Mini vs Modern Facelift

+1

Hi Dylan,

The cost of minilifts and facelifts vary from $4000 to $25,000 and more depending on what part of the country you are in. Mini-facelifts tend to cost less but can be just as effective as full facelifts depending on how much skin and muscle needs to be pulled and what your expectations are.

Many patients with minimal jowling and slight neck skin excess will do great with a minifacelift as long as the SMAS is addressed. If you have excess jowling and excess neck skin then a tradiional facelift is probably in order.

I agree that in today's economy and the level of competition in cosmetic surgery, you can find good surgeons for less. Just because your paying top dollar does mean your getting the best. Just look at some Hollywood celebs with bad work.

Best of Luck!

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Save for a modern facelift

+1

A modern facelift includes more than just a skin pull. Save until you can comfortably afford one and then go to the best surgeon aroung. Skip the minifacelifts also...

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS