Latisse for Pulled Eyelashes?

I pulled my eyelashes out because of itching. I'm not sure why my lashes itch though. The result is I have most of the time I don't have lashes. I do have some eyelashes sometimes. Will Latisse work for me?

Trichotillamania

+1

This certainly sounds like trichotillamania. This is a condition of compulsive hair pulling. Hence, even if Latisse worked, you would most likely pull out any lashes that might have the courage to grow.

There is a relatively new, safe and inexpensive treatment for compulsive disorders. It seems that the amino acid N- Acetylcysteine (NAC) reduces the symptoms of compulsion hair pulling. An article in the July 2009 issue of Archives of General Psychiatry showed scientific evidence that 56% of the subjects taking N-Acetylcysteine were improved to very much improved in their control of this compulsion, versus 16% taking placebo.

In this study, NAC worked as well as cognitive behavior therapy, the previously known most effective treatment for trichotillamania. Certainly, the combination can work together. There were no adverse side effects reported.

It is felt that NAC acts on the glutamate system, the largest neurotransmitter system in our brains, to decrease compulsive disorders.

I would seek a local expert on obsessive-compulsive disorders ( Monk could help you here). That, plus NAC, should be of great benefit.

We discussed this on our radio show on www.blogtalkradio.com on October 29th. You are encouraged to listen.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Latisse is not a cure for hair pulling disorder

+1

Latisse is NOT a cure for Trichotillomania, the hair pulling disorder associated with the irresistible pulling of hair from scalp, eyebrows and other body areas.

This is a psychiatric disorder that needs to be properly treated. You may find qualified therapists here - http://www.trich.org/treatment/treatment-provider.html

Once the disorder is under control and only then, a trial of Latisse MAY be beneficial.

Good Luck.