Does Laser Lipolysis Cause Less Bumps?

Does laser lipolysis have cause less bumps afterwards as compared to regular liposuction?

Liposuction

+1

Thank you for your question!

If the liposuction is performed properly- no matter the technique, the incidence of irregularities ( not priorly present ) or lumps is uncommon. There is no published data on the benefits of any technique over traditional tumscent liposuction.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Sometimes liposuction and laser lipolysis are performed together

+1

There are no studies to suggest this. To some degree the techniques for laser lipolysis vary. Laser destroys fat cells but does not remove them. Some people perform the laser and leave the dead fat behind to be cleaned up by the body while others use liposuction to remove the "liquefied fat".

Lumps after liposuctin

+1

Whether it's laser lipolysis or regular liposuction, the incidence of lumps afterward are mostly dependant on the person perfoming the technique. Make sure you're comfortable with the plastic surgeon doing your procedure, and check out some before and after pictures before having anything done. Be careful before you sign on to anything if you're not 100% comfortable and if you see some warning signs, such as no before and after photos, no patient contacts, and questionable aftercare.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

It's the Doctor not the lipo technique.

+1

If any of the different lipo techniques are used if done correctly bumps should not be palpable after three or four months.The main advantage as far as laser lipo is that there may be some skin shrinkage . 

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

The surgeon is more important

+1

There are many option for  liposuction including laser lipo, water jet lipo, ultrasonic lipo and conventional liposuction . All of these technique are effective and safe if done right. Please do you homework and find the right surgeon.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction and lumps

+1

Lumps after surgery can happen with any liposuction technique.  This is usually do to poor technique.  To fix this problem you probably will need a revision.

Lumps are due to technique

+1

Laser lipolysis does have many advantages if done in the right patients.  However, lumps after any form of liposuciton are more due to the technique than the type of liposuction. 

David Shafer, MD

Laser lipolysis has no advantages.

+1

Hi!

1) Bumps after liposuction are caused by poor technique, and can happen with any kind of liposuction. It's the surgeon who determines the outcome, with a good eye and meticulous attention to contour.

2) In New York, I don't know any experienced plastic surgeons who use laser liposuction. It has no benefts.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Laser lipo has no proven benefit in terms of uneven appearance

+1

I agree with the previous answer that there is no evidence that laser lipo has any benefit in terms of lumps, bumps, or general unevenness afterward. In fact, I have seen it done as an alternative to a tummy tuck in cases where there was loose skin and the lumpiness was much worse than if the correct operation had been done. There is some evidence that skin may tighten a little bit more with laser lipo than with traditional lipo, but I am not convinced that it is enough to justify the additional risk and expense.

Richard Baxter, MD

No

+1

I do laser lipolysis on selected patients and have not convinced myself that there is any benefit at all over conventional liposuction. I have years of experience with ultrasonically assisted liposuction and never say that it had major advantages over conventional. The surgeon is more important than the technique.