Can a Keloid Prone Asian Go for Rhinoplasty?

Ihad a surgery near my collarbone area and had keloids. However, I am not sure if I'm really keloid prone since I used to have several ear piercing on both ears and had no keloid formation nor inflammation. I had also underwent through injection on my upper arms with no keloid formation too. Now I'm thinking of going in for rhinoplasty--probably an alarplasty and a tipplasty together with silicone injection for the nose bridge. Are the chances of keloid formation less likely?

Chance of keloids with rhinoplasty

+1

The incisions used during rhinoplasty are not areas that commonly keloid.  If hypertrophy does begin to develop at the incision sites, healing can be modulated with injections of Kenalog and 5-FU to prevent excess scar hypertrophy and keloids.  

Keloid in rhinoplasty not likely

+1

The nose, columella and ala are not high risk areas for keloid formation, which is exceedingly rare if not unheard of in rhinoplasty.  Even if it did occur, it can be well controlled with a specialized steroid injector device in experienced hands.  Good luck with your surgery! 

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloid formation is rare with closed rhinoplasty

+1

The keloid formation is rare when rhinoplasty is performed through an endonasal approach (closed rhinoplasty). It is not a good idea to have an external (open) rhinoplasty since you are keloid-prone. Silicone injections are not advised for the nasal bridge and they are not FDA-approved in the United States. A Silastic implant can be placed across the nasal bridge to augment the bridge and make the dorsum higher.

Keloid in Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

In 30 years, I've never seen a keloid form with an Asian rhinoplasty. While never say never, this would be an extremely rare complication.   

Keloids

+1

You are at a low risk for any keloid formation in Rhinoplasty surgery, especially if external incisions across the columella or alar base are avoided. The fact you had surgery of your ear lobes without keloid formation bodes well. Keloids of the chest and collar bones are more frequent. but can be minimized with good techniques and judicious steroid injections in the recovery phase.

Lee Kleiman, MD
Annapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloid occurrence during rhinoplasty

+1

Most patients who are prone to keloids including African American and Asians typically do not develop keloids from a rhinoplasty. Even when the nostrils are narrowed during a rhinoplasty, they typically do not form keloids. The fact that you did not form keloid from having your ears pierced would put you at an even lower risk for keloid formation. As far as silicone injections, I would wait until after your rhinoplasty is completed to see if those injections are even necessary. Significant amounts injected into the nose could lead to a greater chance of forming keloids or abnormal lumps of scar tissue there. Most nasal dorsums are better augmented with your own cartilage or an external implant perhaps even a solid silicone implant

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty scars typically heal inconspicuously.

+1

The collar bone or breast bone areas are notorious for leaving raised, red scars after surgery or trauma or biopsy. I have not seen keloid scarring in any of my Rhinoplasty patients, and I almost always use an external incision on the columella.

If you're planning to have liquid silicone injected to raise your bridge, this would typically be performed after your surgery to address your nostrils and tip. I'm not sure what brand of medical-grade, liquid silicone is available in Singapore (Silikon-1000, Alcon Labs. Ft. Worth, TX works wonderfully); make sure your surgeon is experienced in the micro-droplet, gradual approach to nasal-bridge augmentation. Several treatments are typically necessary. View many photos of favorable results before proceeding.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avoid silicone injections

+1

There is no risk of keloid fomation post rhinoplasty if done properly . The risk of keloid ( i believe you have hypertrophic scar) is higher for the shoulder area. There is no justification for the silicone injection. There are long term complication from silicone injection and unlike silicon implants,silicone injection is not removable. AVOID silicone injections...to any part of the body

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

No Silicone In the Nose Please

+1

I am more concerned about you gettin Silicone in the nose than you getting keloids in the rhinoplasty incisions. Typically nose incisions do not lead to keloid formation. Silicone should not be used to augment the nose as there are other viable and safer options like your own cartilage or Silicone or Gortex.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

It should be fine.

+1

I have operated on Asian patients for more than 30 years and have never had a nasal keloid. I think you should not have any keloid if performed by a rhinoplasty specialist.