Is a Bleeding Keloid Cancerous?

My keloid is approximately 6 cm in diameter and has been bleeding for a few weeks. Could this infection be cancerous? I have an appointment in a few days.

Keloid and cancer

+1

Keloids can become injured just like normal skin.  Bleeding is not a sign of cancer in a keloid, but non-healing wounds should prompt a visit to your plastic surgeon. 

Bleeding keloid

+1

I would say it is very unusual for a keloid to bleed. I hope that you will take yourself to a physican promptly who will remove it for you.

Take care of yourself!

Beverly Johnson, MD
Washington DC Dermatologist

Can a keloid be cancerous?

+1

Your keloid is bleeding due to its size and location. Looking at the picture, there is a low probability that it is cancerous. I would recommend removal followed by compression earrings and possibly local radiation to prevent the keloid from coming back.

Kavita Mariwalla, MD
New Haven Dermatologic Surgeon