Is It Safe for an Expectant Mother (3 Months) to Have Eye Skin Tightening?

i have had skin tightening around my eyes for a few months, but have not been for around 3 months. will this effect the fetus in anyway? thank you.

Wait until after delivery to embark on elective cosmetic procedures

+1

It is not a good idea to have any surgical procedure around the eyes while you are pregnant for fear of harm to the fetus. It is best to wait until full-term delivery before embarking on any elective cosmetic procedures.

Defer eyelid procedures until after pregnacy and breast feeding

+1

You refer to "eyelid tightening". I'm not quite sure what type of tightening you have had. There are surgical eyelid procedures, laser treatments and multiple cosmetic products. In any event, your baby is developing and it is important to avoid unnecessary stresses, drugs and chemicals. No one knows if any of these will cause harm to the fetus, the risk is probably small but why take the chance.

Most eyelid procedures are elective. Wait until after your pregnacy. If you choose to nurse your baby, wait until you have finished nursing as well. Congradulations, I hope you have a beautiful child.

James H. Schmidt, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

You know cosmetic surgery is not right during pregnancy

+1

Dear Cancun

There are just so many things that can affect the developing fetus. Unless there is careful study, we never get a clear answer regarding what is safe and what is not safe. When the health of the mother is at stake, sometimes doctors will recommend a treatment even if it might affect the health of the unborn baby.

That is not the case here. Will skin tightening affect your unborn baby? Who knows, probably not. But why would you take even a tiny risk with the health of your unborn baby? Vanity should not be a life threatening emergency.

Please take care of yourself and your unborn baby. Now is not the time for cosmetic procedures. Once you have weaned your newborn, it will be safe to pamper your face.