How Long After IPL Should Sun Exposure Be Avoided?

I live in Southern California and hike a lot. I wear sun protection, but still want to be cautious so I don't interfere with the IPL results.

You should not have any unprotected sun exposure for 2 weeks following your IPL Treatment.

Unprotected sun exposure after IPL treatments may lead to brown discoloration of your skin. The recommended period of sun-avoidance is 2-3 weeks. I hope this is helpful for you.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avoid sun exposure forever to maintain IPL results

For as long as you want to maintain the results from your IPL treatment, you need to avoid the sun!

I am in So Cal also and this is possible! Just wear a mineral-based sunscreen (zinc oxide or titanium dioxide-based sunscreen) every day. And wear a hat when you are hiking.

If you don't, the brown spots you paid a lot to get removed will just come back! If you wear a hat, you will be fine hiking.

By avoiding the sun, I don't mean you need to stay inside all of the time, or avoid exercise or the things you love. Just wear sunscreen and a hat while you do them.

Anne Marie McNeill, MD, PhD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon