How Long After IPL Should Sun Exposure Be Avoided?

I live in Southern California and hike a lot. I wear sun protection, but still want to be cautious so I don't interfere with the IPL results.

You should not have any unprotected sun exposure for 2 weeks following your IPL Treatment.

+1

Unprotected sun exposure after IPL treatments may lead to brown discoloration of your skin. The recommended period of sun-avoidance is 2-3 weeks. I hope this is helpful for you.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avoid sun exposure forever to maintain IPL results

+1

For as long as you want to maintain the results from your IPL treatment, you need to avoid the sun!

I am in So Cal also and this is possible! Just wear a mineral-based sunscreen (zinc oxide or titanium dioxide-based sunscreen) every day. And wear a hat when you are hiking.

If you don't, the brown spots you paid a lot to get removed will just come back! If you wear a hat, you will be fine hiking.

By avoiding the sun, I don't mean you need to stay inside all of the time, or avoid exercise or the things you love. Just wear sunscreen and a hat while you do them.

Anne Marie McNeill, MD, PhD
Newport Beach Dermatologist