Should the Invisalign Tray Edges Be Sharp?

I started my Invisalign treatment yesterday.Well yesterday, there were no gaps or edges sticking out. Today, the bottom tray has a small gap between my teeth because the edge has curved up and is kind of sharp. My tongue keeps rubbing against it and now has a painful blister, is there anything I can do with the tray so this doesn't keep happening?

+1

Occasionally we will get an aligner that is sharper than it should be. It is simple to fix. Just bring it back to your dentist and ask them to polish off the sharp are. If this happens in futrue aligners make sure you tell your dentist and he can smooth them all out.

If you can not get back to your dentist then very gently smooth the area with a fine nail file being careful not to crack or split the aligner.

San Diego Cosmetic Dentist

Smoothing sharp edges on a Inivsalign tray and treating gum irritation

+1

Invisalign trays are cut to be 1mm away from your gum line to avoid irritation. If the edge of the tray is touching your gum line you can take a cuticle siscor and clip the edge off and/or file the sharp edge down with a nail file until smooth. You should also do warm salt water rinses to clear up any gum irritation and lightly massage the area with your finger to promote blood flow to the region. The first couple of trays does take some getting use to. If you have the same problem with your next aligner you should talk to your doctor.

New York Orthodontist

Adjusting Invisalign retainers to help the gums

+1

If you can pinpoint the exact spot where the tray is bothering you, I would say you can take a nail file and polish it out. Your dentist may suggest otherwise, so you might want to talk the him first. If it were me, I would let you smooth it out.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

The edges of Invisalign trays should be smooth

+1

The edges should be smooth. If it is curved up as you say, it may indicate that it somehow became distorted. One cause might be drinking a hot drink. Depending how bad the curve is, it can be trimmed to be more comfortable without changing the effectiveness of the tray. But it should be done by your treating doctor. A nail file is OK for you do use if it is small snags or chips, but if the bend or curve goes up into the impression of the tooth surface, it is best to see your doctor to deal with it.

Atlanta Orthodontist

You want your Invisalign trays to be as comfortable as possible

+1

If left alone, this will just cotinue to drive you nuts.  A quick visit to your dentist should help do the trick; he or she can smooth them down to feel better.

West Des Moines Cosmetic Dentist

DIY dentistry

+1

I don't see much problem with a nail file done at home. The effort is the same, whether it's with me or done by the patient.

Often it is the first few that feel this way, the tissues adapt and all future aligners feel fine.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign trays should feel smooth

+1

If the invisalign edges are sharp it can easily be adjusted by your treating dental office. They can buff and smooth them out. I would not do this at home with a nail file , you may crack the tray. Since invisalign has to be worn many hours of the day, it is a good idea to have the sharp edge fixed so you will no longer get irritations.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Fixing sharp invisalign trays

+1

If your invisalign tray is sharp on the bottom, you can take a nail file and smooth away the sharp edge. If that doesn't work and it continues to bother you, then I would see your dentist or orthodontist who is treating you and they can trim the aligner and make the necessary adjustment.

New York Orthodontist