Can Invisalign Fix Bite and TMJ Problems?

I went to an Invisalign provider and I told him all about my TMJ problems. I told him how my bite is off and I can't bite down because of how off it is. It changes from day to day. The orthodontist assured me he can fix my bite and has done it before. I was just wondering if Invisalign can really fix bite problems.

Invisalign trays will rarely be the solution for TMD

+2

How severe is her TMD? What are her TMD symptoms? Where is her optimal "resting" bite position? Though made out of a hard material, are the Invisalign trays really thick enough to maintain a proper bite, and does the dental professional have the technology to ensure that she is addressing these issues? Nobody wants to hear the obligatory "I don't know..." but, it's true, there's too many unknowns to attempt to answer this question without a more thorough understand of her condition.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign trays can act as a Night or Bite Guard

+2

By moving teeth to their ideal position, Invisalign does correct bite issues. In many cases when the bite is corrected it can help with TMJ/TMD problems, not necessarily in all cases. Bite and TMJ issues may or may not be related. In some Invisalign cases, the aligners act as a Night or Bite guard and can relieve TMJ/TMD problems during treatment. Since every person is unique this has to be evaluated and treated on a case by case basis.

Michael Ayzin, DDS
Costa Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Fixing bite may help occlusion, but no guarantee to fix TMJ symptoms

+2

Invisalign can help put teeth in a better position and help improve occlusion, but having not seen your case, it is hard to tell you if invisalign or traditional braces is the best option for getting the best bite. TMJ disorder is multi-factorial and while fixing your bite may improve your TMJ symptoms, it is not a guarantee.

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist

Invisalign for bite and TMJ problems

+2

It really depends of the severity of your bite problem and the degree of damage in your jaw joint from the TMD. Sometimes getting things aligned will allow for your jaw to function properly again if the reason for the TMJ problems was the tooth positon. If this is the case then Invisalign treatment may be for you. You still may need TMJ treatment even after Invisalign if there are residual symptoms.

Cate Vieregger, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign or Braces before correcting TMJ Dysfunction is like playing with fire

+1

Invisalign or Braces before correcting TMJ Dysfunction is like playing with fire!  Moving teeth with dysfunctional jaw joints can precipitate even worse pain and dysfunction.   TMJ Dysfunctions are the result of the best fit of the teeth not matching with a healthy jaw joint position.  Having successfully  treated thousands of TMJ Dysfunction cases over several decades I can tell you that the only permanent solution to your TMJ Dysfunction is to successfully correct your jaw joint alignment with a repositioning orthotic (lower jaw appliance) first and hold for a minimum of 6 months of normal function.  Then Invisalign or braces can move the teeth into positions supportive and compatable with the ideal properly functioning TMJ.  In this way, you will not only correct the jaw joints, but have a bite that is beautiful and healthy.

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist

Yes, I would think Invisalign can fix bite and TMJ issues

+1

Invisalign can fix bite problems or at least diminish them. The TMJ issue could be caused by your imbalanced bite and would or could be fixed with Invisalign treatment. The aligners also act as a nite guard to prevent over-closing especially with patients that have a deep bite, one of the leading causes of TMJ syndrome.

Dr Thomas

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist