Invisalign Effective Without Extracting Wisdom Teeth?

I am about to start my Invisalign treatment. My dentist advised me to remove all four of my wisdom teeth, although they have never bothered me. Will Invisalign still be effective in the long run if I keep my wisdom teeth?

Invisalign effective without extracting wisdom teeth

+1

The aligners can be made to stop before the wisdom teeth and they seat nicely that way. Most of the time we want the wisdom teeth gone,but for Invisalign to work, it is unnecessary.

Dr Thomas

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign without extraction depends on the position of your wisdom teeth

+1

If your wisdom teeth are fully erupted and aligned with the rest of your teeth, then extraction is unnecessary. Wisdom teeth can grow in all kinds of positions. Some partially erupted, and some stay underneath the gum. If they are partially erupted, or in poor position, it is harder to keep them clean and bacterial growth can form and cause infection, damaging not only that tooth but the teeth next to them. Poor positioning of the wisdom teeth can also put pressure on other teeth causing them to mis-align.

I'm sure if your dentist recommends that your wisdom teeth be extracted before starting your Invisalign treatment, it is for good reason.

Good luck!

New York Orthodontist

Invisalign is effective without extracting wisdom teeth

+1

Some treating dentists prefer to keep the wisdom teeth whenever possible and some would advise them to be removed to avoid any future complications or problems. You can choose to postpone having them taken out until after orthodontic treatment is complete. Keep in mind they can cause shifting in the future. A complete evaluation should be done and your dentist can advise you on what is the very best option for you.

Costa Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Depends on your treatment

+1

There isn't a cardinal rule for whether wisdom teeth should stay or be extracted. In general wisdom teeth do not impact the orthodontic result.

That being said, in specific situations, such as distalizing molars with Invisalign, it is mandatory to extract your wisdom teeth before treatment. Other reasons to do so include partially impacted teeth that may result in periocoronitis, requiring extraction during treatment to reduce pain, whereby pushing treatment off track for a few days to weeks.

Toronto Orthodontist

Invisalign effective with wisdom teeth

+1

Invisalign is effective with wisdom teeth. It was once thought that lower incisor crowding was the result of pressure from the erupting and developing wisdom teeth, the "push from behind" theory, but studies have shown that that is not always the case. There may be other reasons why your dentist suggested getting out your wisdom teeth like poor positioning or periodontal concerns. To ensure the long term result of orthodontic treatment, like invisalign, it is very important to wear your retainers!

New York Orthodontist

Wisdom teeth should go

+1

It is common for people to desire keeping wisdom teeth, but it only creates problems later in life that could be avoided had they been removed early.  Sometimes the aligners from Invisalign won't seat properly with the wisdom teeth.

Web reference: http://www.BestSeattleDentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.