Invisalign Vs Lumineers to Correct Spaced out Teeth and Improve Bite?

Which is better for correcting spaced out teeth and improving bite, Invisalign or Lumineers? How do they compare in prices?

Alignment problems are best solved with orthodontics

+1

It is always best to properly align teeth using orthodontics as compared to masking an orthodontic problem by using lumnineers, crowns, laminates, etc. Orthodontics is used to place teeth in a proper alignment not only side by side but also upper teeth to lower teeth. After orthodontic tooth movement is achieved and the occlusion is corrected, then and only then should any cosmetic dental work such as crowns, laminates or lumineers be implemented. To maintain your teeth for life, it is best to correct your occlusion or dental relationships and then do any cosmetic work that you desire. To check pricing, it is wise to consult with both an orthodontist and a cosmetic
dentist.

New York Orthodontist

Lumineers are NOT the answer.

+1

Based on what you have described as your situation I would definitely recommend that Invisalign be the first step in any treatment. Improving your bite and improving the alignment and spacing of your teeth is not only going to improve the appearance of your teeth, but it is critical to the longevity and health of your teeth. If you used only veneers or Lumineers which is just a brand of little of no preparation veneers you would be ignoring the health of your teeth and in the long run this approach to treatment would undoubtedly fail which would be costly both financially and health wise.

A. Vandiveer Strait, DDS
Wilton Cosmetic Dentist

Apples and Oranges

+1

Depending on your specific goal, treatment can vary. A generality would be that if you start with crooked, ugly yellow teeth and use Invisalign, you get straight, ugly yellow teeth. Lumineers may be an option, as they CAN close spaces. If they are large and there are many, there may be other issues that should be addressed first. Traditional veneers may be more appropriate.

The price difference can be very large. Invisalign will run ~$5000 and the Lumineers likely will run ~$12K-$18K, depending on number of teeth and level of difficulty.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Each tool has a different application

+1

When you visit a dentist for a consultation, they should give you a global assessment of what can be done to correct your problems. They should take into account what your goals are. For example, if you have multiple fillings on your front teeth or "splotchy" white decalcified areas, veneers are a great "tool." If your teeth are very white already, and just minorly crooked, you may choose Invisalign. On the other hand, you may have very small teeth (thus the spacing) and veneers will help proportionalize them.

Lumineers is just a brand name for a lab's veneer. I prefer a local porcelain artist to create veneers custom for each patient. If you look at my Before and After video below, you will see that I have many patients who had discolored teeth. This, I feel, is a very good reason to go with veneers. Notice there are also many who have broken (tooth decay) or ground down their teeth. Again this is a great motivation to rebuild the teeth.

The first before and afters on the video are "no prep/minimal prep" veneers meaning that very little to no tooth was reduced in order to bond the porcelain to the tooth. This is a popular concept but it needs to be done well, otherwise the teeth will look too bulky, opaque and unrealistic.

Make sure your dentist isn't biased toward Invisalign or Veneers so you get the right thing for you. As the saying goes, "If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

M. Andrew Atwood, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist