Any Interaction Between Botox and Tobradex?

Can I have Botox if I am using Tobradex ointment for an eye infection?

If you have an eye infection, then don't do Botox until it is cleared up

+2

Eye infections spread very easily so don't do any Botox around the eye until your eye infection is cleared up. Needle sticks into the surrounding skin only spreads the infection. 

Web reference: http://www.drdavidhansen.com

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

No interaction between BOTOX and Tobradex

+1

I know of no interaction between BOTOX and Tobradex. Injections into the skin of the forehead should not be performed if there is a local infection in the vicinity of these injections.

Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

No interaction between Botox and Tobradex

+1

After researching the medical literature and internet, there is NO cross reaction between these two drugs. As the other excellent medical posters have stated, you must have had a prior eye issue. 

I hope for a fast recovery.

Botox Now? Bettter to Wait.

+1

Although no drug interaction is likely to happen, Botox injection in the face of conjunctivitis is not something I would advise. Tobradex is a combination ophthalmic drop of tobramycin (Aminoglycoside) and dexamethasone (steroid) and Botox is Botulinum toxin type A. Although there is a risk of potentiating the effects of Botox with intravenous aminoglycosides, this is not a possible scenario with topical aminoglycosides.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Tobradex

+1

There are no well defined contraindications fotr topical tobradex and dexamethesone. However, as others hace suggested, this depends on the reasonsl the tobradex was prescribed. IF it was for an active infection, I would encourage you to wait unitl this condition was satisfactorily treated prior to initiating Botox therapy.

Botox during eye infection treatment

+1

If you have a bacterial conjunctivits, it would be prudent not to treat the Crow's feet or the area between the eyebrows until the infection clears. If you have an allergic or viral conjunctivitis then it shouldn't matter. The upper forehead can be treated though as this is far away from the possible infection. The main concern is not to spread Staph bacteria from the skin surrounding the eyes, via needle sticks of the Botox treatment, to new areas and develop a bacterial facial skin infeciton.

Botox and Tobradex

+1

Yes there is no cross reaction. Usually Botox would be injected away from the site of administration of ointment (in the eye or along the lash margin).  If you are infected where the injection would be placed then the Botox injection should be withheld till the area clears up. 

West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox Injection and Tobradex, Any Drug Interactions?

+1

Hi Chermini,

Yes, you can have Botox treatment while using Tobradex ointment for your eye infection.  There should be no problem, but clear it with your injecting physician first.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P