What Happens if All of the Fluid Doesn't Drain out After Liposuction?

What happens if all the fluid does not drain out after liposuction?

A few of my holes were closing about 3 days after smart lipo. I pulled one open and fluid started draining out, but I couldn't get the other ones open. I'm wondering if it is possible that I can still have fluid that couldn't get out from the closed holes.

Better to close the Liposuction incision

+2

An important part of the liposuction procedure is to inject fluid prior to actual liposuction to induce vasoconstriction of the blood vessels. This leads to decrease blood loss and also induce some post operative pain managment. At least 20% of the fluid injected is removed with the actual liposuction. The remainder of this fluid gets absorbed rather quickly by the lymphatic system and the third space between the cells.

I found that leaving the liposuction holes open might help to get the swelling down quickly. However, it is such a discomfort for the patient in the first few days as they ooze from the different sites. Closure of these holes is better and the body should be able to deal with the fluid. Best of luck!

Liposuction Drainage

+2

I do not leave my holes after liposuction open, and I believe most surgeons close the holes. The drainage is generally reabsorbed by your body, and I have never had to drain a patient after liposuction.

But it is possible to have a fluid pocket build up and require drainage. After the surgery it is important to wear the compression garment and keep your activity to a minimum.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Excess fluid will resorb

+2

I personally, and I expect the majority of plastic surgeons, close the access sites for liposuction. If no fluid is coming out of your drainage incisions, it may be that there is no longer any excess fluid. After liposuction, the excess fluid will either drain out or be resorbed.

I wouldn't let this worry you and I wouldn't pull open your incisions.

Hope that helps!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon