Incision for Excision of Glandular Formation After Vaser Lipo?

I had Vaser Liposuction done for Gynecomastia. It didn't turn out well as there is substantial glandular formation.

My doctor is willing to go back and do excision. I am wondering whether to have the cut be under the areola or under the breast, those were my options given. What do you recommend?

Incision for Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi bogdan111,

Thanks for the post. You represent a number of patients who have had less than satisfactory results with liposuction alone to treat a glandular issue. That being said, my preferred technique for glandular excision is through an incision on the lower border of the areola. These incisions heal very well and I have never revised one of my own incisions. The reason is 3 fold:

1. My technique
2. The incision is placed in a zone of camouflage between the darker areola and the lighter breast skin
3. There is no tension on the incision because the tissue is being removed.

Dr. Dadvand

9201 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90069

Excision of breast tissue in a male is usually done with an incision at the border of the areola.

There are options for placement of incision depending on the specifics of the problem and the preferences of the surgeon.  However, most simple gynecomastia is excised through an incision that is placed at the border of the areola and chest skin.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

Incisions for resection of gland tissue in gynecomastia

The size and location of incisions for the resection of glandular tissue depend on the amount and location of this tissue on your chest. If you have a small amount of tissue directly underneath the areola or centrally on your chest, a simple excision may be performed through a small incision around your areola. We have performed this on several patients who have received liposuction before but have retained a small amount of fat centrally.

Pat Pazmino, MD

848 Brickell Avenue
Miami, FL 33131

Gynecomastia removed with short nipple scar.

Almost every gynecomastia patient who needs male breast reduction has to have both liposuction and excision of breast tissue under the nipple.  The breast tissue is best removed with a short scar inside the nipple. Absolutely avoid scar under breast.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

First I would determine if you are dealing with a Plastic Surgeon. Second I would ask if he /she has any experience with gynecomastia. If the answer is no I would cut my loses and see someone who has experience with your problem. It is exceedingly unusual to utilize any incision other than a periareolar incision.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

680 N Lakeshore Drive
Chicago, IL 60611

Incision for excision of male breast gland after Vaser Lipo

Periareolar incisions would give the best results. I would wait until the post operative inflammation subsides to allow for a softer, less bloody operative field.

Good Luck.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

Periareolar incision for gynecomastia

Peri-areolar scars are usually used to remove glandular tissue. Most scars will heal in nicely as the scar blends in with the areolar. It is especially useful in those males who have little chest hair to help conceal a scar elsewhere on the breast.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

348 Jericho Tpke
Syosset, NY 11758

Gynecomastectomy Incision

In my experience, glandular tissue virtually always needs to be excised.  I prefer to carry out the excision via a periareolar incision, because the resultant scar tends to be less visible since there is already a color contrast present.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

4001 Kresge Way
Louisville, KY 40207

Incision for excision of gynecomastia glandular tissue

in many instances I prefer the incision placed beneath the areola to excise the glandular tissue. I have found that the scar in this location tends to heal with a more favorable outcome compared to the breast crease.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005