How to Achieve Medium C Breasts on Petite Frame?

There have been various Q&A's on this, but would like an opinion pertaining to me personally. I'm petite, 5'2 107lbs, small B (lost volume on top after child birth) I know cup size is hard to determine, but would like to be a Medium C and have some volume at top. I like the look of 325cc breast implants when tried on. The doctor suggested 325 implant w/ 350cc's, (said 350cc under the muscle will give me the 325 look). What do you think? Also is moderate plus a good choice? Thanks for your input.

Sizing

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Proper Implant Selection

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Acheiving your goals with breast implants

+1

Hello there.  There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.

Sugene Kim, MD

Choosing the right size breast implant

+1

One can be pretty accurate in judging the correct implant size by trying on sizers (or implants) during the consultation with the plastic surgeon.  It sounds as if you have been through this process.  With out seeing pictures, it is impossible to tell what implant size will give you the cup size that you want.

I would say that the recommendation that your surgeon has made sounds like right one.  

Good luck with your desicion.

Doug Hargave

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Upper pole fullness and full natural shape in breast augmentation

+1

Firstly I would strongly recpommend that you avoid saline implants as they will not give you the natural lookn or feel that you are after.  I would also suggest subfascial placement if you want natural appearing upper pole fullness.  The tone of the pectoralis muscle in submuscular or dual plane techniques actually flattens the superior pole and pushes them appart.  I use a variation of subfascial placement that I call cold-subfascial augmentation using this technique I leave the muscle alone and use the stroong structural power of the fascia to shape and hold the breast sitting as a natural teardrop form.  Focusing on technique and the base width of the implant are more important then volume.  Make sure the implant is bifg enough to fill your 'breast footprint.'  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Breast implant size?

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.  

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast augmentation, fat grafting, silicone implants, breast sizing

+1

Dear Gidget, breast sizing is beast done in the office with sizers. You may want to try them on a few different times with different clothing. Your surgeon should be able to advise you- depending on the shape of your breasts and the amount of tissue that will cover the implant.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Choosing implant sizes

+1

Hi Gidget,

The choice of the right size implant is very important to your final result. I have found that working with sizers is the best way for me to understand what a patient wants, and for the patient to understand how a certain size will ultimatelt look. But, as with many things, this is not a precise science.

If you are uncertain about the size, go back into your doctor's office and try them on again. Take in several different tops and decide what you are comfortable with. Your look with the sizers is much more important than talking about specific bra cup sizes, as this may differ greatly depending upon where you buy your bras, and how you like them to fit.

I will usually go up 50cc from the desired sizer when I am placing the implant under the muscle. In terms of profiles, with saline implants I prefer either moderate profile implants, or moderate profile plus implants. In many women, high profile implants can give too much fullness in the top of the breast. But most importantly, I don't want the base width of the implant to exceed than the base width of your breast. This can make the breast wider than you might want.

Best advice to you, is to work with sizers again. Take in a friend, if you want, and decide what looks best with you frame size. (As you are petite, you will get a greater difference with a moderate sized implant than will someone with a larger frame.)

Good luck!

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

+1

Selecting implants that is right for you is difficult to tell without examining you.  I prefer mod plus or high profile for smaller narrower women.

Breast Implant Sizing

+1

All things considered, I think you will be happy with 325cc saline implants placed under the pectoralis muscle and filled with 350cc. I do feel that a better result is obtained with saline implants when they are slightly overfilled (this decreases chances of rippling). But, as been stated many times, do not fixate on cup size but rather on what looks good on you.

John Whitt, MD