Ideal Breast Cup Size my Frame?

What is the best cup size for a body frame of 5 ft, 130 lbs with a cup size of 38DDD? Also, I'm 23 years old.

Ideal cup size after Breast Reduction to match frame

Clearly a shorter woman (5 ft, 130 lbs) with a cup size of 38DDD is VERY top heavy and a lot of this excess breast weight CAN be removed for a better more attractive figure.

BUT -- everyone has different ideas on what constitutes a "perfect" appearance. This varies by sex, ethnicity, social class, age and geographic location. To give you an example, while Latin women may prefer fuller breasts, European women often consider cup sizes of full C and above as too big).

YOU should be the determining factor of what you want. As a general guideline, I would suggest that for an ideal hourglass shape, a vertical line drawn from the sides of the breasts downward should be the same as the line drawn from the sides of the hips upwards. If the breast line is wider - you will look bustier - if it is narrower - you will look smaller.

Good Luck.

Breast reduction should leave you with small C cup.

Remember, I have not examined you, and this is just an estimate based on my pretty big experience.  But I would recommend aiming for a small C cup after breast reduction.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

What size for breast reduction

Comfort should guide the decision in part about what size is best for you.  Without examining you, or seing a picture, for that matter, I would think that a small C cup would be the best for you.

Best of luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.

Ideal cup size varies

There is no ideal cup size. If you are only 5 feet tall, then anything larger than a D cup will make you top heavy. Consider how much your breasts are interfering with exercise or activity as well as what look you want to achieve. It is not possible to guarantee a specific cup size, but a breast reduction yields many benefits for women like you who may suffer from shoulder pain and intertrigo.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Cup Size

There is no ideal cup size. Only you can determine your ideal cup size. If you undergo a breast reduction which is covered by insurance, you will probably need to go to the C/D range. If you are paying for your surgery, you can tell your surgeon the cup size that you desire. However, there is no guarantee that this can be achieved exactly.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Ideal size

Breast reduction, or reduction mammaplasty patients are among the most satisfied of all plastic surgery patients. Large breasts (macromastia) can often decrease quality of life for a woman. With breast reduction, you can have smaller breasts that sit higher on your chest wall. You will also find relief in your neck and back with the decrease in weight and more ergonomic position of your breasts.
There are several different variations of breast reduction, differing by size, and amount of incisions; procedure; and the results. The different types of reduction techniques include: The wise pattern breast lift, the anchor shaped incision, and the donut mastopexy.
1. The wise pattern breast lift involves an anchor-shaped incision around the natural contour of the breast. To most patients surprise, this scar is mostly hidden under the inferior aspect of the breast. However, the scar around the nipple/areola is visible. Most patients heal this anchor type scar very well and are satisfied with smaller areola in exchange for the scars. This surgery is used when there is a lot of excess skin that needs to be removed in order to lift the breast and give it a more aesthetic shape.
2. Often times, the anchor shaped incision can me diminished to create a lollipop or J shaped incision. This results in some excess skin at the inferior aspect of the breast near the breast crease that will flatten out over a 6 month period. Some patients are willing to tolerate this excess skin for 6 months in exchange for a smaller scar. This is a personal decision that each patient can make.
3. The donut mastopexy involves creating an incision around the areola and removing a doughnut-shaped area of skin. This surgery can be used for patients that need a smaller amount of lifting. This surgery results in a scrunched-up look to the breast skin surrounding the areola for about 6 months before it flattens out. Patients need to be understanding and tolerant of this in exchange for an areola-only scar. These patients do run the risk of areola widening as well.
Insurance may cover some of these cases when back pain, shoulder bra-notching, and rashes under the breast are present. Insurances vary though and your doctor can submit a report and photos to see if your insurance approves your procedure.
The ideal size depends on the size of your hips and waist.  Your surgeon will be able to guide you in this decision.
The risks of the procedure include bleeding, infection, bruising, poor scarring, pain, swelling, and changes to nipple and areola sensation, and rarely, partial or total nipple loss. The recovery time is usually a couple weeks if all goes well. In general, however, breast reduction patients are some of the most satisfied and grateful plastic surgery patients. This is truly a life-changing procedure. In my area, the cost ranges from 6700-8500. Best of luck!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Ideal Breast Size

It is hard to say what the best size is for you. It depends where you keep those 130 lbs. For someone who is very muscular a smaller size might look better. If you have wide hips, you may want to stay larger. The best size should be determined at your consultation with your surgeon. Sometimes what is desired and what is safe differ.

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Breast Cup Size for Frame

Cup size is not an accurate method to assess any breast surgery. Consult in person with 3 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options and to more clearly your goals/objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

No right answer

There is a lot of personal preference that comes into play here.  If you do not like your DDD breasts, then they are too large.  If you were to have a breast reduction, you could reasonably expect to be a D or C/D.  If you wanted to keep some of the volume a DD would be possible too.  It is completely up to you and the board certified plastic surgeon

Ideal breast cup size for my frame?

Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant or breast reduction for your breast width.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD