Hydroxyapatite Granuals Mandibular Angle Implant Risks?

I am looking into augmenting my jaw using hydroxyapatite granuals. What are the risks associated with using this material? It seems a more custom implant can be performed. Why are the surgeons who use this so few?

Hydroxyapatite jaw implants injections or custom implant

+1

Implanting jaw implants with hydroxyapatite is not a common procedure. There is not as much information on this approach versus silicone jaw implants and medpor implants. The hydroxyapatite can absorb and you could be left with hardly any augmentation. Silicone and medpor implants are more proven with a successful track history. In my opinion, silicone jaw implants are better and are less risky compared to other forms of implants in the jaw and lateral jaw area. Below is a video for you to watch and a link to see more informative videos:

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hydroxyapatite granules

+1

I have not seen many surgeons employ this product as well.

For a brief time, the use of hydroxyapatite cement was popular and this came in a paste form that was prepared and spackled into place. It was difficult to work with and often did not "set" properly.

I have only seen one person with injected granules that became infected and required surgical drainage to remove. I do not know how frequently this complication occurs.

Hydroxyapatite granuals mandibular angle implant risks?

+1

Hydroxyapatite granules have been used for many years and have a good safety track record. They have been used to literally fill in clefts in facial bones (cleft palate or fractures) giving seamless results.

The positives are that they are incorporated by scar tissue, when placed near bone and become part of the bone. The problem is that unlike pre-made implants they require a precise pocket creation and precise placement. In other words, a bit more artistry.

Peter A Aldea, MD