How Long Until Dissolvable Stitches Usually Dissolve?

I crushed my finger while working out and had plastic surgery to fix it. The stitches are still there.

I asked my doctor, and he said that the stitches will dissolve. The stitches have been there over 2 weeks now, and I'm wondering, how long until dissolvable stitches usually dissolve?

Length of time for sutures to dissolve

+1

If you have external stitches in the hand, they will probably be gone in 2-4 weeks after the injury.  Other sutures used internally may take 3-4 months to dissolve.

How long until dissolvable stitches usually dissolve?

+1

"stitches have been there over 2 weeks now"

There is a RANGE of dissolving sutures lasting from 5 days to as long as 5 months. I seriously doubt your surgeon used long lasting dissolving sutures in your finger. The vast majority last 4 weeks at most.

Check with your surgeon at 4 weeks if they are still there and ask him if the could be removed.

Dissolvable stitch dissolution varies with the type of stitch

+1

"Dissolvable" sutures in plastic surgery can be of many different types. You are going to want to contact your surgeon and have the area examined to find put what type you have and when they should dissolve just to make sure all is well.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon